Hi my metal guitar playing in solos is very sloppy. i've been told to use a metronome but i don't know how too use it. do i play 4 notes every beat, if im playing in sixteenth notes, and how do i play complicated solos like lucretia slow? also what is better playing a solo in guitar pro and playing along to at a slow tempo, or just using the good ol' metronome?
thanks a bunch.
-bobby
best way is to use the metronome, in my opinion. Begin with 1 note per beat, then half the metronome tempo and play 2 notes per beat. Do that over and over til you can play 8 notes per beat on time with the metronome. then you can increase the tempo and your playing speed. Hope that helps.
is playing along with guitarpro at a slow tempo, the same as using a metronome?
Yes, but that way you actually see what you're playing. Just learn the solo, and practive with the metronome or with a backing track without pre recorded solo. Try to use GP as little as possible for learning. Best way would be taking a look at the tab, and then figuring it out yourself.
Slow it down on guitar pro, turn the metronome on.
Select the solo and put it on speed trainer, choose the speed increments based on how comfortable you are with playing the solo. Don't be embarrased if you start off even at 25% speed going up in 1% increments, its all good practise.

Once you're good enough, play with a backing track with no lead or rhythm guitar. If possible test yourself by playing only with the drums
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
thanks for the help the only thing is the lucretia solo is crazy timing. any suggestions to keep timing without necessary counting along to the metronome? thanks...
-bobby
Last edited by Bobby2001 at Aug 29, 2010,
Yeah i know what you mean, anyway i think it really helps to familiarise yourself with the song so try to listen to the solo as much as you can and get accustomed to it, heck tap your foot to it.

Otherwise it helps to listen to the solo slowed down barebones as well, so turn off the bass and rhythm and all that. Works for me, especially with a Friedman solo.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Slow guitar pro down, turn on metronome, and turn off all the tracks so you can only hear the metronome that way you can see where the beat falls on what notes and should help a little to figureing it out