Hi chaps,

I'm swapping the P100s on my '93 LP Special for a SD P90 Vintage at the neck and SD P90 Hot at the bridge, never done this before so any advice welcome

Anything I need to watch out for? Is everything colour coded and a simple straight swap? Colour for colour?
Its pretty straight forward usually. I've changed out the pick-ups on a few of my guitars. Everything should go together like it came out unless ur going with "active" pick-ups which require u to install new "pots"
If you've never done it before just memorise where all the wires are currently connected or take a picture if necessary- this helped me out the first time i did it.
Obviously make sure you don't put too much solder on the wires when you put the new pickups in and make sure that the wires aren't connected to each other. Remove the solder already holding the pickups in with a soldering iron, obviously, and take care getting them out- you don't want to damage any electronics in your guitar
Saw Things So Much Clearer, Once You Were In My Rearviewmirror.

Well I've Been Down So God Damn Long, That It Looks Like Up To Me

SG man for life!
Good posts so far. I will add that I usually put a towel, pc of cardboard, etc to shield the guitar body from any accidental solder drips, dropping the iron, etc. Also watch the angle of the iron when working inside the cavity as you might end up melting the insulation of other wires and or the rim of the cavity.

How many leads do the Duncans have? The Duncan site has some nice wire diagrams online to assist.
Earthrug- That's an awesome tip with the towel or card.. i'll do that in future xD everytime i've done it in the past i've been worried i'd drop solder on my guitars but now i don't need to haha, thanks
Saw Things So Much Clearer, Once You Were In My Rearviewmirror.

Well I've Been Down So God Damn Long, That It Looks Like Up To Me

SG man for life!
Quote by Reesy666
Earthrug- That's an awesome tip with the towel or card.. i'll do that in future xD everytime i've done it in the past i've been worried i'd drop solder on my guitars but now i don't need to haha, thanks

NP

Ya, when I was going nuts a bit back trying out dif' pickups in my SG I took a pc of thick construction type paper large enough to cover the back of the guitar and cut out a section of it in the shape of the rear cavity. Worked like a charm!
Not hard at all. I was worried about doing it the first time, especially since I had never soldered before. I memorized where the wires went and took a picture. I also had some diagrams to help me. Took like 5 - 10 minutes.

The piece of cardboard is a good idea! I have never dripped solder, but I rather be safe and cover up just in case.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Thanks guys! I'll be ok with the soldering I reckon I'm thinking more about the colours / amount of wires etc... Will it be a straight swap from Gibson to SD? (one of the reasons I posted this was because I did a search prior to asking the question and with some makes of pickup it wasn't so straight forward...)

Good tip with the cardboard
On top of this, any tips to help me get the heights right? don't want to have to take the guitar to the setup chap anymore if I can avoid it since I'd like to learn all but the real nitty gritty myself

do I just record the distance from the strings to the pickups of my P100s and try and set it the same, do I then have to adjust the heights of the individual string-screws (whatever they're called)?
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
'06 Yamaha RGX520FZ (Translucent Dark Red)
Laney VC15 (Ltd. Edition Old English White)
Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1
bump... could do with some advice on the last question if you don't mind?
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
'06 Yamaha RGX520FZ (Translucent Dark Red)
Laney VC15 (Ltd. Edition Old English White)
Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1