so im looking for some new pickups for my sg. it currently has the stock ones in it, and i did a little mod on them for fun(coil split, which i still need to put pics of up) but now im just thinking about new ones, preferably at least a little higher output at least in the bridge. i play prog rock/metal so i need good DEFINE distortion(define for chords, but im not really planning on diming the gain or anything, think in the realm of porcupine tree, dream theater, opeth distortions) and i need good cleans as well, so i basically need good all around pickups. now of course there are the EMG 81/85 duo, blackouts etc that ive heard work just as good for prog as metal, but ive never really heard that much about passives. another thing im looking for is a bit more overall thickness to my tone, ive played multiple amps with my guitar, and my friends guitars which have the 81/85s in them, and mine just felt smaller and less full and thick. im guessing this has to do with the output levels?

idk if i should really even put a budget here, since from what ive seen all pickups are about the same price but i guess i dont want to spend more than i would on say the EMGs. of course i always like to minimize spending tho. but rec me passives or actives idc just whatever would be best.

also, heres a small twist, my friend with the 81/85s had an esp(ltd) viper with emg HZ passives in it, and he offered them to me as a set for 50$. i know this is a good deal, but for my purposes should i even bother? are they good pickups in the first place? ive heard mixed things about them.

thanks!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I know lots of people here love the Dimarzio Liquifire and CrunchLab, Petrucci combo. Im personally a big Dimarzio fan, Air Norton and ToneZone combo is my favourite thus my recommendation.

Also EMG HZ's are pretty poor in my opinion.
For thick Distorted Clarity Blackouts! BLACKOUTS BLACKOUTS BLACKOUT! Emg's are great to, Blackouts are thicker though. If you'd rather stay passive, Dimarzio D-Activator X's also will be perfect, and would be more unique since Active DOMINATES the metal world right now. But IMO Blackouts are the Best pick ups for metal.
Quote by barnesybaby
I know lots of people here love the Dimarzio Liquifire and CrunchLab, Petrucci combo. Im personally a big Dimarzio fan, Air Norton and ToneZone combo is my favourite thus my recommendation.

Also EMG HZ's are pretty poor in my opinion.

I agree EMG HZ's are REALLY BAD. Muddy and blah sounding. Passive Dimarzio, Active Seymour Duncan.
Quote by Jaredmkl
How important is coil tapping?

after performing the mod and playing around with it, not very. it was fun to do and its cool to be able to flick a switch and have it kind of sound like a strat, but its really only something to play around with i guess. id never record with it lol. especially since i have a HSS strat. if i can get a better tone without coil tapping ill go for that, but if i can coil tap as a bonus id wire it up too. so whatever works.

and thanks everyone else for the other recs. i completely forgot about dimarzio lol a name i havent heard in a long time. and the bareknuckles ive never even looked at.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Ok, ya checkout dimarzio's website and use their little thing that recommends pick ups.
ok lol they are recommending the crunch lab of course, along with breed neck and liqui fire, and the PAF joe.

the petrucci set is of course passive correct?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Jaredmkl
But IMO Blackouts are the Best pick ups for metal.

You must not have used many pickups then.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Linqua5150
after performing the mod and playing around with it, not very. it was fun to do and its cool to be able to flick a switch and have it kind of sound like a strat, but its really only something to play around with i guess. id never record with it lol. especially since i have a HSS strat. if i can get a better tone without coil tapping ill go for that, but if i can coil tap as a bonus id wire it up too. so whatever works.

and thanks everyone else for the other recs. i completely forgot about dimarzio lol a name i havent heard in a long time. and the bareknuckles ive never even looked at.

I have did it too, and it was fun messing around with it. But, on my guitar, it sounded way to thin. It really had no warmth to it at all, to the point of being hard to listen too.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Linqua5150
ok lol they are recommending the crunch lab of course, along with breed neck and liqui fire, and the PAF joe.

the petrucci set is of course passive correct?

Ya, all passive. Listen to the sound clips and read about the 3 bridge and 3 neck pick ups. Itll make choosing easy. good luck
Quote by MatrixClaw
You must not have used many pickups then.

Ive tried alot, let me think of what comes to mind... JB/jazz set, Invader b/n, balckouts, EMG 81tw/89, 81/85, 81/60, 81x/85x, d-activator, d-activator x, crunchlab/luiqifire. Plus stock pups on gibson and (alot of) ibanez guitars. IMO, blackouts have been the best sounding. But thats my opinion.
Crunch Lab and Liquid Fire were the first things that came to my mind, and apparently a few other people's too.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
alright cool im definitely considering these as my first choice. (dont worry ill do my research first and everything ha i always do, which leads to my next question) anyone have a link or video or anything comparing different pickups? kind of like how they have for eminence speakers i guess is what i mean. i guess im pretty familiar with the petrucci set, and all i have to do is listen to black cloud silver linings hah.

EDIT: how does the petrucci set compare to for example the PRS dragon II pickups? (stock in the custom 22)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by Linqua5150
alright cool im definitely considering these as my first choice. (dont worry ill do my research first and everything ha i always do, which leads to my next question) anyone have a link or video or anything comparing different pickups? kind of like how they have for eminence speakers i guess is what i mean. i guess im pretty familiar with the petrucci set, and all i have to do is listen to black cloud silver linings hah.

Good CD hahaha
Quote by Linqua5150

EDIT: how does the petrucci set compare to for example the PRS dragon II pickups? (stock in the custom 22)

Id imagine very differently. I believe they are Alnico 5. and his bridge is ceramic. And both of JP are most likely wound tighter. I think you'd like the JP sat more. But PRS is good at... well.. everything they do. hahaha I <3 PRS
Quote by Linqua5150
how does the petrucci set compare to for example the PRS dragon II pickups? (stock in the custom 22)

The Dragons are pretty low output in comparison. I like the Dragon II in the neck of my PRS, is probably the only neck pickup I've really liked the cleans from, but the bridge had to go. Sounded like a muddy mess for anything high gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ok so i went to my local music store today that i spotted a music man at before and got to try it out

brilliant guitar, my only complaint is that its a BOLT ON neck? upper fret access is limited. on a shredders guitar lol

but anyway the main point, it had the crunch lab/liquifire combo in it. i am very impressed. playing just seemed easier with them and the sustain was delicious. very very clear and define especially when playing jazzy dissonant opeth chords haha. almost to define for me haha. i almost want to say it sounds just a tiny bit processed because of how define it is and the response of them are. but i am definitely interested, and will be playing them lots more when i can to decide what im going to go with. first i played it through the mark V stack(obligatory haha) sounded great. then i played through a marshall haze 40 combo and a peavey classic 30 combo because they are alot closer to my jet city, especially the classic 30. i was surprised at the gain on tap of the classic 30. the pickups tightened the bass response of the amps up(which i am indeed looking for) and just overall made it sound better(probably due to the higher output) one thing about the liquifire tho, i think it was the amp but, it sounded very very bassy on the classic 30, is this amp just really bassy or was it the pickup? i would switch over and then feel like i need to turn the bass all the way down.

now i guess i just have a question or two left. i really liked the set, and it is a first impression mind you and i will be playing them alot more, but is there anything you guys would recommend with a slightly lower output? just because of like i said before, it may have been a bit too high, and sounded processed to my ears, like it was so define that it almost sounded inorganic to my ears. idk, its still just a first impression, and i was on like a 45 minute limit because i had my one friend with me who i needed to take back to school(i told him to drive separate cuz i was probably going to be there for a while lol ugh)

for cleans im going for opethy/procupine tree ish type sounds, and for ods, just think of well, porcupine tree would be a good example again, but a bit heavier with more gain, idk if i want to go opeth heavy for ods, although i sure as hell would like to just to mess around or whatever, but im 95% looking for my tone for recording etc. oh also i want to add, one more thing that slightly turns me off of the petrucci set, is that theyre built for definition and whatnot during technical solos and shit, that i am NO WHERE NEAR in terms of playing, nor do i really want to include much of that in my main music project personally. my music, i guess i envision to be like PT, or like riverside, maybe like katatonia ish, whatever, im not really trying to copy and ive still yet to find sound, thats just the direction i want to go in, to start at least.

thanks for reading my walls of text guys! lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
24+ hour bump
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
I would not go any lower output for metal. The Dsonic, his old pup (not as good imo) is less out put. The air-norton is similar to the liquifire. so you might like that. Also a tonezone might be cool for you. Check them out. Also check out the D-Activators. but If you like the JP set. Do it. o with your gut
Again i recommend an Air Norton/Tone Zone combination
They're lower output than the Crunchlab/Liquifire combination.

(The Crunchlab may have sounded bassy due to the bar instead of pole-pieces as i know the dimarzio say this aids response when the guitar is detuned)

The Steve's Special is also a pretty sweet pickup that is often overlooked