Here's the problem, I started to learn how to read sheet music, but I make very little progress in remembering it, I usually have a whole song out, and play a section like intro for 10minutes, solo for 15minutes, verse rhythm 10minutes, verse lead 10mins etc I try and do this everyday, this sort of session lasts around 90mins, and well, I keep trying to move forward, but as a result, the material keeps piling up, at the moment I am trying to read two full songs which I spend around 180minutes on a day, or at least try to.

For one, I don't have enough time to sight read all day and to be honest I don't want to, I am also working on other areas of my playing including technique, vocab and song writing.

So what's the most effective way of remembering what you play on sheet music?
Listen to the song being played a fair few times, until you know exactly how it goes. Then if you play it along, or while reading the sheet music, you should know which part goes next, and remember all the parts to it and how it goes.

Works for me.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
learn it, dont memorize it - there is a big difference

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Go slow. Break things down into smaller pieces then add more. Look at the page and sing the parts in your head. While you are doing other things try to visualize the sheet and sing the tune.
i usually just memorize the key and chords really all i have to do after that is remember the rhythmical values (which just means i need to be able to hum it to myself) and bam, instant song recollection.
Quote by Nitro89
Here's the problem, I started to learn how to read sheet music, but I make very little progress in remembering it, I usually have a whole song out, and play a section like intro for 10minutes, solo for 15minutes, verse rhythm 10minutes, verse lead 10mins etc I try and do this everyday, this sort of session lasts around 90mins, and well, I keep trying to move forward, but as a result, the material keeps piling up, at the moment I am trying to read two full songs which I spend around 180minutes on a day, or at least try to.

For one, I don't have enough time to sight read all day and to be honest I don't want to, I am also working on other areas of my playing including technique, vocab and song writing.

I think if you recognize what's going on in the music as it moves, it makes it easier and faster, because the song is less abstract. For example I might recognize a part from Santana as being from Dorian, so I contextually "see" what the song is, it's not a bunch of abstract phrases moving along, like trying to memorize a string of numbers or something.

The best way to understand something is to connect it to something you already understand.

Best,

Sean
If I'm making a stupid statement, correct me, but from what I know most musicians using sheet don't 'memorize' the pieces, rather they play through it to get a sense of the feel of the piece and then sightread everything.
Quote by Tyler Durden
learn it, dont memorize it - there is a big difference

This.

If you're being expected to do this quickly on short notice then I have no experience. However I'd make sure that you have all of the rhythmic motifs covered should you have less skills in reading rhythm, or make sure that you have all of the melodic motifs covered should you have less skill in reading melody.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Nitro89

What I do is practice the piece (while reading) to the point where I'm familiar enough with it to start playing it by memory. Then I practice without the music.

No tricks, just straight up practice.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 30, 2010,