so i got bored e few minutes ago and wondered how long my new guitar resonates

i finger picked the low E string (open) and started the stopwatch feature on my ipod at the same time results are below GOD i was SOoo bored! but i figured out my Epiphone Hummingbird blows away me Fender ESS-100

both guitars where finger plucked with the same amount of force

Fender ESS-100:resonates for 5.38 seconds.

Epiphone Hummingbird Artist: resonates for 10.23 seconds!!!!!!!
F$$@ ME that is a huge difference
This is interesting. I wonder if both guitars were using the same gauge strings? Seems like a thicker gauge would have tighter strings, would that resonate more or less than a thinner gauge?
Quote by fuzzymonkey
This is interesting. I wonder if both guitars were using the same gauge strings? Seems like a thicker gauge would have tighter strings, would that resonate more or less than a thinner gauge?

tighter strings would resonate more i would assume. but they both are wearing D'Addario .12 gauge Phosphor broze
I just tried this on my Seagull S6 and it lasted 31.8 seconds. I could still faintly hear it when I stopped the stopwatch and the string was still vibrating when I stopped it.
Blueridge BR-160A
my cargo lasted 16 seconds, but these strings aren't the best for sustain i've ever had on it, although they sound good. i'll try it again when i change to DR rares or sunbeams.
Maybe I'm plucking extra hard. Lol. Seems like my results are a little high. I have been playing some bluegrass lately

Are you waiting until you can't hear any more sound or what?

Edit:: I did just have new strings put on when it was setup. Martin SP 80/20 I think. 12s.
Blueridge BR-160A
Last edited by silver8ack at Sep 4, 2010,