Hi. Does anyone know of any way to get rid of laquer scratch marks? (and can recomend a compound that can be purchased in the UK).

Also, for deep scratches or dents in just the laquer, would it be a good idea to use this and a razor blade to get it level with the rest of the finish:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Finishes_and_solvents/ColorTone_Waterbase_Guitar_Lacquers/ColorTone_Waterbase_Lacquer.html

Then sand it with micromesh and use the polishing compound recommended for laquer scratches?

Thanks.
Quote by ldragon-slayerl
Hi. Does anyone know of any way to get rid of laquer scratch marks? (and can recomend a compound that can be purchased in the UK).

Also, for deep scratches or dents in just the laquer, would it be a good idea to use this and a razor blade to get it level with the rest of the finish:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Finishes_and_solvents/ColorTone_Waterbase_Guitar_Lacquers/ColorTone_Waterbase_Lacquer.html

Then sand it with micromesh and use the polishing compound recommended for laquer scratches?

Thanks.
Don't get the razor blade anywhere close to it. Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 to remove the fine scratches; then, Swirl X, to remove the fine swirls. Then polish with Carnauba Wax for the mirror finish.

For dings and dents, that's a different story.

First make sure is a lacquer finish but most repairs can be the same for any finish. Most light scratches can be just polished out if they go thru to the wood and color coat it's a little more involved. Aside from a complete refinish there are ways to hide or even get rid of some of the nasty stuff. I deal with several guitar repair shops and I do repairs on the side. I have seen and done amazing repairs made with simple items. I have fixed gouges and dents on black guitars with black fingernail polish. You build it up in the damage sand it down with very fine sandpaper or micro mesh and polish it and it really disappears. You can fix clear coat with either clear fingernail polish or CA (Superglue) not the cheap stuff from Wal*Mart a good commercial grade like you would get from Stewart Mac. Thew same applies you build it up in the damaged area let it completely cure and sand it down and polish it damage gone! I have seen shops use magic markers (Sharpies) to blend in color where the wood shows thru the base coat and those repairs were only noticeable if you knew where it was repaired and looked at it with a magnifying glass. Stewart Mac is a great source for repair tips and very helpful when you contact their tech guys. I get repair updates from them all the time and I am surprised to see what the shops do Stewart Mac soon or later recommends.

I would stay away from using a razor blade myself that can scratch it even more!

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Aug 30, 2010,
you could just use clear nail polish. its nitrocellulose laquer in a mini bottle
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume