Page 1 of 2
I found some old songs on my old laptop, and I really want to transfer it all to this laptop I'm typing on right now. Some of this stuff I don't have a physical CD to re-rip.

But the major issue that for a lot of it (probably most of it) there's some sort of copy protection which stops you from sending the mp3 file to a memory stick, and I can't simply burn a CD of it either.

Is there any way I can crack the copy protection on the files to let me copy them to my new laptop?
Quote by blankoff
try google.

If I could find what I needed to know on a search engine, I wouldn't be asking here.
Pirating is illegal. Try somewhere else.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Just email yourself the MP3's, then download them onto your new computer. Flash drives also work nicely, or a USB cable; The third was how I transferred my library onto my shiny new MacBook some months ago.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Erik_Aero
Download the songs.

Firstly, we're talking 50Gb of music here, which rules out legal downloads (some of this music isn't even available legally) and I'm already on a warning from my internet provider for downloading stuff illegally.
Quote by necrosis1193
Just email yourself the MP3's, then download them onto your new computer. Flash drives also work nicely, or a USB cable; The third was how I transferred my library onto my shiny new MacBook some months ago.

The copy protection on the files won't let me even put them onto my mp3 player, yet alone do anything like email.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
The copy protection on the files won't let me even put them onto my mp3 player, yet alone do anything like email.

How the hell did you get something that strict ripped in the first place? What music is it, anyway?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Uh...flash drive. 8GB flash drives can be had for fairly cheap, and if you need more space 16GBs aren't that much more.

Also, if you're going to use euphemisms for curse words, don't say "funk". Quite frankly it makes you look retarded.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by necrosis1193
How the hell did you get something that strict ripped in the first place? What music is it, anyway?

For some reason, it let me rip it to the computer, because legally you're only making a back-up copy, but if I try and burn a CD of the album or transfer it to another device from the computer, it keeps coming up with something about licences and this copy protection.

And it's mostly Level 42 live stuff.
Quote by Primus2112
Uh...flash drive. 8GB flash drives can be had for fairly cheap, and if you need more space 16GBs aren't that much more.

Also, if you're going to use euphemisms for curse words, don't say "funk". Quite frankly it makes you look retarded.

It won't let me transfer it from the computer to any device like that, otherwise I could just use my 120Gb mp3 player as a HDD.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
For some reason, it let me rip it to the computer, because legally you're only making a back-up copy, but if I try and burn a CD of the album or transfer it to another device from the computer, it keeps coming up with something about licences and this copy protection.

And it's mostly Level 42 live stuff.

Don't copy it then. Move it.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
*reported* to the RIAA. If the mods won't ban you, the courts will.

There is no way to get it off... because its a ****ing crime.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Isn't it a bit ironic for you to tell people not to troll Fassa?

It's illegal where you live, respect the fucking law.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Way to be a dick dude.

Great job at detecting sarcasm.

/SARCASM

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Isn't it a bit ironic for you to tell people not to troll Fassa?

It's illegal where you live, respect the fucking law.

Weed is illegal too, and there's a thread dedicated to it, don't see anyone in the drug thread getting banned. Go away hypocrite.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Weed is illegal too, and there's a thread dedicated to it, don't see anyone in the drug thread getting banned. Go away hypocrite.

Am I suggesting that we ban her or anybody else? No. I'm saying I wont help her. I don't help people in the drug thread either, so I fail to see how I'm a hypocrite.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Am I suggesting that we ban her or anybody else? No. I'm saying I wont help her. I don't help people in the drug thread either, so I fail to see how I'm a hypocrite.

Cause we all do stupid shit from time to time, does she really deserve jail time for ripping music, I think not, that's like in the 1970's when they would give 10+ years for possession of weed.

Stupider and more illegal things have been asked on UG, should she be ripping music illegally, no, prolly not, but to report her to authorities is just...idk, unnecessary.

Your not a hypocrite, Lt. Shinysides is.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Cause we all do stupid shit from time to time, does she really deserve jail time for ripping music, I think not, that's like in the 1970's when they would give 10+ years for possession of weed.

Stupider and more illegal things have been asked on UG, should she be ripping music illegally, no, prolly not, but to report her to authorities is just...idk, unnecessary.

But its fassa, so its all ok.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

...smoking weed is a crime, but it's pretty damn easy. Your logic makes no sense and makes you seem like a bit of a douche
Quote by itchy guitar
But its fassa, so its all ok.

It's not ok to me, insulting someone, or hurting someone, or ruining their life cause you think it's funny is not OK.

I don't care that it's Fassa, it's never been ok to single someone out just cause of their views, didn't your mama teach you any manners boy?
not sure why people are talking about drugs, but the RIAA is totally at fault here.

the answer is simple: don't buy anything that's copy-protected.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's not ok to me, insulting someone, or hurting someone, or ruining their life cause you think it's funny is not OK.

I don't care that it's Fassa, it's never been ok to single someone out just cause of their views, didn't your mama teach you any manners boy?

Didn't your mama teach you a sense of humor boy? If you think Shiny actually reported her to the RIAA than you really need to have your sarcasm detector looked at. And we don't cast Fassa out because of her views, we cast her out because she's a fucking troll.

But you play BKP, so its all good.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by heminder
not sure why people are talking about drugs, but the RIAA is totally at fault here.

the answer is simple: don't buy anything that's copy-protected.

If I'd known how much of a pain this was going to be, I wouldn't have bothered even ripping the CDs.
Quote by texico11
Firstly, I didn't even know it could get so complex that you can't transfer the files.

But anyway, they can code this shit all they want, but they can't stop the music being played. So usually the best thing I can think of in these situations is to use a way of recording it in as high-a-quality as the original. So run the line-out on your laptop into the line-in of something that has recording capabilities, like a dvd player, or make even your new laptop. Then just record copies of the songs yourself. Might take a little while but it will be a much longer and slower process trying to figure out a way of cracking the protection. You'll have to find some kind of software online, and different files have different kinds of protection, capatabilities, blah blah blah, unless it's some universally recognized file protection that alot of people were having issues with, then you might be lucky enough to find some kind of crack online from some tech-sav who got sick of it.

Billion points for the guy who might have saved me a hell of a lot of effort and computer hacking.
Fassa, how do you have 50 gigs of LIVE Level 42 in the first place?

Oh, because you don't.

Are you still against using Google for ethical and moral reasons?

foodit: not to mention, how the hell do you have 50 gigs of copy protected music. What is this, the 90s? Nothing I have has this Copy Protection except games.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by lordofthefood1
Fassa, how do you have 50 gigs of LIVE Level 42 in the first place?

Oh, because you don't.

Are you still against using Google for ethical and moral reasons?

No, Google is now kosher for me.

And I've got LOADS of Level 42 stuff on my old laptop: interviews, demo tapes, a load of bootlegged Level 42 (I was given these) live tapes.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
No, Google is now kosher for me.

And I've got LOADS of Level 42 stuff on my old laptop: interviews, demo tapes, a load of bootlegged Level 42 (I was given these) live tapes.

I'm not denying the 50 gigs, I'm denying copy protected interviews, demo tapes, and bootlegs. Why would these things be copy protected? Because they aren't!

And are you saying kosher because you're still trying to convert to Judaism?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Since when are bootlegs and demo tapes copy protected?
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by Lugnaz987
Since when are bootlegs and demo tapes copy protected?

They aren't. Fassa is just trolling The Pit on this lovely Sunday evening.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
...smoking weed is a crime, but it's pretty damn easy. Your logic makes no sense and makes you seem like a bit of a douche

you must be new around here.

Oh... you aren't. well that's odd.

Quote by ethan_hanus

you REALLY didn't get it, did you?

It was a joke you clowns. This thread in itself is obviously just trolling since it's pretty impossible for bootlegs to be copyright protected. That would be... hypocritical to say the least.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 29, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you must be new around here.

Oh... you aren't. well that's odd.

you REALLY didn't get it, did you?

It was a joke you clowns. This thread in itself is obviously just trolling since it's pretty impossible for bootlegs to be copyright protected. That would be... hypocritical to say the least.

Or maybe I'm just really good at trolling.
I'm not much help here but there used to be a program that worked with an older version of itunes that allowed you to remove the protection. i can't remember the name of it, or remember where I found it though.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by ethan_hanus
Or maybe I'm just really good at trolling.

mind=blown
Quote by MakinLattes
Page 1 of 2