I'm sure I've been able to hear the RX Bandits, as well as a few other bands (I think I recall Minus the Bear doing it??), using 2 or more chords at the same time. In the album Progress, I heard the keyboardist at one point just mess around with whatever chords he felt like (I'm pretty sure this part was improvised) and then there were the guitars. I don't really understand how this works and how they keep it from getting muddy, can anyone give me some tips on trying this out myself?

And in their later albums, like The Resignation and And the Battle Begun, I could almost always hear one guitar (I think Embree's) playing a chord and the other playing a higher chord. I don't know how much higher, maybe it was the same chord an octave higher? My ears aren't good enough to recognize intervals between two chords, only between two single notes. And then I'm extra confused on how the bassline is made from this.

Can somebody help explain all this please? I really want to try it out a few times. I managed to write a skacore song once about half a year ago with two guitars mostly playing chords but I really just got lucky, I had no clue what I was doing and I don't think I could do it again.

edit: oh and i dont just wanna try this out cuz rxb did it, i wanna try it out cuz it sounds fun, i really hope i dont get a bunch of replies like "just do your own thing, forget about your influences" because those really dont help, i think my music is unique enough as it is
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 29, 2010,
Have any examples of the chords they use in conjunction?
It could be two chords played that come together to make an extended chord. G major and D major played at the same time would make a Gmaj9, for example.

It could be an idea like that where complex chords are broken down into smaller parts and perhaps played in a different octave or inversion.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Different voicings of the same chords, most likely. I'll take a look however at And The Battle Begun... because it's an awesome song.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
Different voicings of the same chords, most likely. I'll take a look however at And The Battle Begun... because it's an awesome song.

oh i meant the album over all, i dont think that song actually uses many chords.

ill look for an example
I dunno about those particular examples, but there are such things as polychords (literally, many chords). I use them a lot in my music. All they are are two different chords that function independently of each other. For example, a Gm over an F#M. They can create some VERY interesting sounds.

But what is more likely happening in those songs is that one guitarist plays some low notes on a chord (like the 1 3 and 5/7) and the second plays the extensions (like the 5 7 and 9/11... or even further!). This can create a polychordal effect, but since they function as part of the same chord, they're not technically polychords (well, they're not). There's also just that they're playing the same chord, ones just higher up (or uses some notes that are higher up, like playing the 3 and 5 in unison, but playing the 1 an octave up).