Alright UG, I'm thinking about picking up a bass, mainly for a bit of messing around, but if I like it who knows what might come of it.
I've played guitar for a while, but all time I've been playing I couldn't help but wish I could funk it up with some sweet bass lines.
So I come to you bass forum, keepers of the ancient art of the playing and purchasing of bass guitars, for help.

On top of helping me pick out a bass, I'm in need of a bit more help... What is a good sized amp just for fooling around in the bedroom ( ) since I'm pretty sure guitar amps are no good for bass. Also, would it be worth looking into 5 string basses, since I'm used to guitar?

On a not so serious note: is it just me or is this http://www.rondomusic.com/pbg2.html the greatest novelty bass ever? The Alestorm fan in me wishes to purchase
Whats your budget?

Ibanez GSRs are a good place to start if you just want to fool around a bit and dont want anything over the top.
pinga
Quote by mattkendell
Also, would it be worth looking into 5 string basses, since I'm used to guitar?

A 5 string bass will have a slightly wider neck to accommodate the extra string, and will provide you with extended range and greater economy of motion when moving around the fretboard. It will not make the transition from guitar to bass any easier.

As for helping you out, we need a budget. If you can, include your currency and location, as prices vary around the world, and some gear is more readily available in some countries than in others.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Well, I'm in Canada, and as far as a budget...I was kind of hoping to getting a few suggestions of basses and amps and working it out from there. Broke at the moment (old computer had to break at the worst possible time) but between now and Christmas, I'm hoping to get enough money to fund my purchase.

If I could buy used it would be great, but I'm in one of the worst areas for buying used, or buying instruments at all since within 3 hours there's only 2 stores, and small ones at that.

$400 Canadian if I had to ballpark it though.
Last edited by mattkendell at Aug 29, 2010,
Well in that case, I would say an Ibanez GSR200, just cause im an Ibanez dude. It's an overall very versitile bass (for being in that price range, obviously). It definitely gets the job done. However, if you like the jazzy look, as much as it hurts for me to say, you can also get a Squier jam pack that already brings everything with it so you dont have to worry about buying anything separately.

As far as amp goes, im not really sure what to say for lack of your budget knowledge but theres alot too choose from.

edit: with $400 you can plit 50/50, $200 on the bass (if you decide GSR) and $200 on, say, a Hartke A35.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Aug 29, 2010,
I found a Cherry red Squier J-bass and 15W Rumble amp for $150

Aaaand my 2nd find: Ibanez GO Bass (Some kind of dark blue sunburst), and a practice amp, aaaaand hardshell case for $300

All of these are 6 hours away though, so I doubt I would be able to try them before hand

Edit: The seller said Ibanez GO Bass...but that got me no results, so I'm led to assume he meant GIO bass

Edit #2: Anyone here have experience with Rondo Music as far as basses go?

http://www.rondomusic.com/URSA2MNNAs.html <---because that is my bass as far as I'm concerned (Stupid sexy bass)
Last edited by mattkendell at Aug 29, 2010,
Rondo Music puts out some pretty solid beginner basses IMO. They are well constructed and sound good for the price . A major downside with them is that they use extremely cheap hardware, but for such a low price I think they are a steal. Also, they are great platforms for modding (If you wish to do so).
Last edited by Fly-By-Night at Aug 30, 2010,
I've been looking at the rondo site for the whole day pretty much... and I've got to say, the reviews I've been hearing have all been good, aside from the occasional lemon, which Kurt replaces free of charge.

So if I do decide to order one of those...what kind of amp should I get? Because i'm not sure if I can get a Hartke A35 like was previously suggested... Although I might be able to find one in the one good music store on the island.
Last edited by mattkendell at Aug 30, 2010,
Hmm... I don't really know much about it. Most Traynor amps I have seen have been of good quality, but I know nothing about this particular model. Maybe someone else one here will have an idea. But if you know a local store will have it you should try and test it out yourself and see how you like it.
That Traynor looks like a solid bet for an amp. I'd suggest you also take a look at Peavey MAX amps, or look for a used Kustom (used KBA's are dirt cheap, and are fantastic little practice amps).

As for a bass, the usual recommendations are thus: Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Millennium BXP, Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz, and Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz.

All are fantastic starter basses, the Ibanez and the Peavey will be cheaper though. When it comes to Squier, the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series are the best Squier lines, but any non-Affinity-series Squier should do fine. Rondo also has a great reputation, especially in the customer service department.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Man you bass boys certainly know how to take care of your own, I'm feeling the love.
As far as Squier goes, the Vintage Modified basses are the ones I was looking at. Love me some natural finishes.

Any difference in tone between the P-Bass and J-Bass? I mean as far as genre is concerned.
I'll be playing anything from funk to metal if I can, but I'm leaning more to the funky side.
The J-Bass will probably be a bit more versatile (having 2 pick-ups instead of one), but thats not to say the P-Bass wont be versatile as well. The Jazz Bass also has a thinner neck profile than the Precision Bass. However, which one sounds and feels best is ultimately up to you.

But if I had to choose I would probably go with the Jazz Bass. IMO tone cuts through the mix a lot better and I prefer the neck profile on the Jazz Bass (Which is odd since I normally like thicker necks)
Basses aren't really confined to any particular genre, you can play anything with any bass and be fine. Some may be more suited to some genres moreso than others, but most basses cross genre lines with ease.

As for P vs. J, yes there are differences. Both are extremely versatile, but in different ways. The J bass is a chameleon, it can adapt and change its tone to fit in anywhere. The P bass on the other hand is always a P bass, and will always have that punchy P bass sound. However, the unique thing about it is that the P bass tone is never out of place. Anywhere, it always fits right in. They are equally versatile, and both can do anything with ease.

When it comes to feel, the J has a thinner neck, and the P is a bit thicker and chunkier. You should really go and try them yourself. The feel is the big difference, and while some people can work with either, some can't stand a Precision, or in contrast, some can't work with a J. It's sometimes said though, that if you're a Fender man, eventually you'll probably come to own both someday.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I find the Jazz more aesthetically pleasing, plus I'd prefer the 2 pick-ups over one... Now it's just a matter of either ordering online, or waiting a while and hope I can get to a guitar store.
Either way, thanks for being so helpful

I'm hoping the latter after noting what Tostitos just said (Thanks a lot)
Last edited by mattkendell at Aug 30, 2010,
Well, to everybody who's at least partially interested, I've broken into the used market. I found a Traynor DynaBass 50 amp and what looks to be a Squier P-Bass. It seems like the owner just wants to get rid of them, so I've asked him for a price quote. If worse comes to worse, I can always buy the amp (if anyone has information on the amp, or experiences with them let me know) and buy a bass from someone else, if I don't like the feel of the P-Bass.
Quote by mattkendell
Well, to everybody who's at least partially interested, I've broken into the used market. I found a Traynor DynaBass 50 amp and what looks to be a Squier P-Bass. It seems like the owner just wants to get rid of them, so I've asked him for a price quote. If worse comes to worse, I can always buy the amp (if anyone has information on the amp, or experiences with them let me know) and buy a bass from someone else, if I don't like the feel of the P-Bass.

Always try before you buy if you can, and be wary of sellers who try and sell things appearingly too cheap, there's a possibility that that the bass could be defective, look for things like bowed necks and dodgy electronics (scratchy pots, etc).
Traynor have a solid reputation but I can't say I've ever played one so I can't tell you about the sound.
of course, if it's used, I have to try it to give it all a test run...just like buying a used car, I have to take it through all the motions, everything I'll put it through to make sure its not just a polished turd.

At this point, my bass plans might be put on hold til christmas if I decide to get a car...I hope not, but who knows.
Last edited by mattkendell at Sep 1, 2010,
You literally can't go wrong with an Ibanez.
Also, that finish on the pirate bass is awesome.
Quote by Mudmen190
You literally can't go wrong with an Ibanez.
Also, that finish on the pirate bass is awesome.

Finally someone comments on the pirate bass! +10 to you, good sir!

Also, I'm lucky since Ibanez is one of the few brands that the shop has a lot of