I've been playing for a bit over a year and I'm looking for new gear. Right now I have an Ibanez IJX141 (Jumpstart) and a Roland Microcube. I've decided to upgrade my gear to a Schecter Loomis and a Peavey 6505+ for death metal. But I'm not sure about both. The Schecter because I tried out a Damien at my guitar store and the necks a lot thicker than my Ibanez. And the 6505+ because a few people have told me that Valvekings better. So, is there anything I can change? I have a $1600 budget and I'd prefer a 7 string with a tremolo.
valve kings are not better. there different and if i was you id get a non signature model schecter 7 string
Okay, I'll probably get the 6505+ anyways because it comes with a free footswitch. Is there any difference between the Loomis and any of the other Schecter 7s?
amp wise just get a used 6505 non plus and be done with it. Its like the silver bullet of metal amps. 500-600 is the price range.
Guitars
Amps
plus has better cleans, less gain, not quite as aggresive.
Guitars
Amps
jeff loomis sig is so sick. if i played metal id get that guitar
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Oh okay. Well how much less gain does the plus have compared to the normal? I'm looking for something along the lines of Obscura or Augury, so cleans would actually be pretty nice. And I can always use pedals
The reason the Schecter neck feels thicker is because most Ibanez guitars have very thin necks. Only get the 6505+ if you need cleans, otherwise get the 6505. The Valveking won't do death metal and won't do any metal stock.

Quote by Infamous Impact
Oh okay. Well how much less gain does the plus have compared to the normal? I'm looking for something along the lines of Obscura or Augury, so cleans would actually be pretty nice. And I can always use pedals

The difference in gain is mostly noticeable on the rhythm channel. The lead channel has one less gain stage iirc so it's a noticeable drop but it still has more gain than most people know what to do with.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 29, 2010,
Valveking user here. It's not a br00tz amp stock, but it can be... eventually. It's up to you whether you want to drop alot on modding and upgrading the VK to sound its best when you could just get an amp more suited to what you want to do with it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well I don't want to mod a VK, I've never been good with anything to do with modding (3 xboxes). I can live with a bit less gain, so I'll get the 6505+. MusiciansFriend's 6505 normal is out of my budget anyways, and that's the only place where I can pay it off monthly. So now my dilemma is the guitar. A grand is quite a bit, so is there any 7 string I can get that's as good as a Loomis at a smaller price?
when you say 'as good as' you have to understand that it is extremely subjective. a Loomis is quite a different beast than a lot of other 7 strings (due to the fretboard and body wood). supposedly the Loomis neck also has a different feel from regular Schecter 7 strings (supposedly smaller-- thats what I've heard anyways).

how much are you willing to spend on a 7 string and do you have any particular requirements? (other than it having a trem)
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Aug 29, 2010,
You can get a used Ibanez RG7620 or 621 (not the 321) I forget which has the trem. They're great Made in Japan 7 strings, and you can get them for sub-$500. They're discontinued, though, so you can only really get them on eBay or Craigslist or whatever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks for the help guys.
I can't choose between the Ibanez S7320 or the Loomis sig. Can anyone tell me which one feels better? I'm going to replace the pickups with D Activators so thats no problem.
to my knowledge the 7320 is no longer in production so you'd have to find one in store or used. the newer model is the 7420 which is about $700 on average (USA funds) while the Loomis would be $999 on average (USA funds). I've heard good things about the 7420 except for the pickups. As far as features the Loomis offers better quality tuners, trem, and pickups (assuming you're not opposed to EMG's).

What feels better again is subjective as people prefer different styles. The Ibanez is going to be a thinner neck and VERY thin body (S style guitars are paper thin, lol). Schecter will be thicker in both body and neck although i've heard that the Loomis has a smaller neck than the typical Schecter 7. In addition, the Schecter has a 26.5" scale in comparison to the Ibanez 25.5" scale (basically a longer neck which usually means strings wont be as floppy, especially if you down-tune).

Another option is to look into getting an LTD MH-417 which will be more of an 'in-between' kind of 7 string. Also Agile makes some pretty good 7's that you might be interested in as well.\

Since you own an Ibanez now the transition from 6 to 7 string will be easiest if you go with an Ibanez guitar. Schecter's are usually the hardest to transition to because they generally have thick necks.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by Infamous Impact
Thanks for the help guys.
I can't choose between the Ibanez S7320 or the Loomis sig. Can anyone tell me which one feels better? I'm going to replace the pickups with D Activators so thats no problem.

Oh boy...
I've never played the loomis but the Ibanez has one of the thinnest necks I've ever seen (friend has it). It's a great guitar. Schecters in general are also great but have much thicker (and IMO more usable) necks than the Ibanez. It's all subjective. Bear in mind that any 7 string's neck is going to be MUCH wider (but not necessarily fatter) than almost any 6 string.

EDIT: The S also comes with Ibanez's ZR trem, which is absolutely fantastic. I've never seen my friend tuning it once except to put it in drop A. If you want to put in D-Activators go for the S - the Schecter is routed for EMG 7 String Actives and won't fit normal sized / passive pickups without them looking completely out of place.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Aug 30, 2010,
6505+ any day. Personally I don't hear less gain in my 6505+ compared to a 6505 and considering the useable gain ends at about 6 it's not a valid reason to get a 6505 over a 6505+ anyway. It's like saying a Ferrari goes 20 mph faster than a Porsche but you will never be able to drive either at their top speed anyway
The one thing I don't like about the Loomis sig, is that it's just a Volume. If you wouldn't use your tone knob anyway, go with it. it's a fantastic guitar and the maple fretboard is the sex.
On the topic of the 6505s if you are using any sort of cleans in your playing at all get the + version so you have a full eq to use for the cleans.

I have a 6505 and the other guitarist in Scordatura has a 6505+ mine sounds much more aggresive but maybe that is just me! His gain is away up about 7 mine is at 5/6. Anyway both amps are crackin so whatever you buy youll no be disapointed in the distorted tone anyway!