Okay yes I COULD sit in my bedroom for 10 hours a day practicing scales and arpeggios and stuff, but there has got to be a more efficient way of doing so.

Are there some ways to learn how to increase technique? Would you start at 40 bpm and work your way up by 1 bpm?

I know some of you may say "see 21 day thread", but this is meant to be long term, as in if you take any technique... in 2 years you will be able to do most (or any) shape flawlessly for the most part.

For those at this a long time... if you had to restart... how would you get to where you are as efficiently as possible?
: )
Quote by TheChosen1One
You dont need to practice for perfect technique

Yes you do. I could never have perfected my pinch harmonics without practicing them a lot.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Quote by Shredderman8160
Yes you do.

Can you please contribute more to this thread? Your post is ****ing useless

OP: Just practice for liek 5 minutes a day for each tecahnique and you'll get good. Dont put in more time
It's hard to answer something like this as there's a hell of a lot of factors that go into perfect technique. A few big things for me were:
1. Not anchoring my picking hand.
2. Picking from the wrist.
3. Keeping my left hand thumb behind the neck (other than for bends/vibrato).
You need to find out what perfect technique is before you can begin to practise it.

When it comes to actually practising it though, a metronome is very useful. I would suggest practising something without the metronome at first, just show your hands the basics of what to do. Once you've got it down at a very basic level, it's time to break out the metronome and only ever increase the speed when you're 100% comfortable with the speed you're at; if you find yourself uncomfortable with a certain speed - knock it down 10bpm and work your way up again.
Remember that you have to practise good technique with the metronome, otherwise you're just training yourself in bad habits.

Also, remember that your attitude is very important: don't make excuses for lousy technique or put off correcting your technique. I wasted a lot of time saying things like "well, my favourite guitarist anchors, so it can't be that bad" or "it's not really holding me back".
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Also if you want to maximize your time... learn how to analyze your technique very precisely. Always be on the lookout for "small" problem areas of a song for example. They are not small in fact... they weak points in your playing showing through, and probably what you need to work on the most.

So isolate that. break it down to its simplest mechanic(s), and devote some time to that mechanic only. Spend less time practicing stuff you already do well.

You just need to know what's what, your body will tell you if you pay attention.
There is absolutely no need to practice technique only for 10 hours a day. That would be highly inefficient and boring.

2-3 hours a day is more than enough, when you have fundamentals absolutely perfect, 2-3 years of practice should give you decent technique to play with.

The trick is to have good fundamentals and practice correctly. That means

- good posture
- proper picking and fretting hand positions
- economy of motions
- controlled tension and no unnecessary tension

Also, your technique when playing slow has to be the same as when playing fast. Otherwise, you will just learn to play slow.

In short have whole micro technique down before you start to repeat and burn in (using that 21 day method or whatever else) scale, licks, arpeggios whatever for days. I don't believe a beginner can achieve it without master teacher (there are some exceptions, some rare individuals just get it naturally), because it's quite hard to figure it on your own without picking up a ton of bad habits.

That's why you have people people playing for years and getting nowhere - because they "burn in" bad micro technique. I see a lot of people making horrible mistakes, even if they can play relatively fast, you can tell they struggling, because their playing isn't clean, they are tense, fingers flying away from meters form the fretboard.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 30, 2010,
If you want to have perfect technique, play guitar with perfect technique. Simple as that. You don't need to practice technique all the time, you need to solve problems as they arise and then maintain the muscle memory.

And you're getting too caught up on technique.