Page 1 of 2
Attempt #2

Ive been thinking about dystopian societies a lot lately and of course I wonder, what are you opinions on the matter? Will we live to experience it? Is it even possible? How could it happen if it did? What kind of world will it be? Could we really give up all of our freedom and rights so that we can feel safe from terrorists? Or could we end up in a world where we are so self absorbed with technology and other peoples business that we stop even really experiencing anything in life? Maybe even both. Are the already places that should be considered dystopian societies(N.Korea)? Should we be worried that there will soon be technology capable of reading our minds? Or should we be worried about the thought police, or losing our freedom of speech? Is there anything to be worried about at all?

Please tell me what you think.
Last edited by bass-boy-garith at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by Dirge Humani
I think you don't know what a dystopia is.

Does it have anything to do with Narnia or the Middle Earth?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Moar Orwell!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
More like Borewell, amirite?

Wut? He's my favorite author.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Why ('s)? Societies is the plural, not society's
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I've read some rather strange books with Dystopian societies; I don't see the appeal of those books. I doubt any of you have read "Unwind" but not only was it suckily written it was just plain disturbing. You don't like your teen? Ship him/her off to be dismantled and used for body parts.

OT: No. You don't know what Dystopia is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MakinLattes
a dystopian future is almost on par with a zombie apocalypse. we can only hope...

i believe we have set the bar higher than just zombie apocalypse, give credit where it's due :/

if our ending fate with be a summary of how we acted on earth, i'm just hoping i die before that
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
They're not all pretentious novels. Go and watch Demolition Man; pure hilarity!
Brave new world.

The things you love will enslave you, not the things you fear. You are being subdued more by garbage entertainment, and banal appeals to the senses more than by laws and authorities. You will become complacent, and there will be no need to control you.
Quote by technicolour
Brave new world.

The things you love will enslave you, not the things you fear. You are being subdued more by garbage entertainment, and banal appeals to the senses more than by laws and authorities. You will become complacent, and there will be no need to control you.

Then you bring in Sylvester Stallone to kill everybody. Demolition Man is basically Brave New World with Stallone killing people; and the references to BNW aren't so subtle, one of the main characters is named Lenina Huxley for God's sake.
Quote by technicolour
Brave new world.

The type of dramas which are appearing on TV at the moment are more complex and have more intricate detail than ever. It'd be a shame to denounce popular shows as Lost as a 'banal [appeal] to the senses'. We've got a century of common men radio-listening, novel reading, TV watching behind us when the best thing a common man could originally do with his spare time would be to go down the pub. IQs are rising by 3 points every decade and I wouldn't be surprised if the vast increase and variety of information-based forms of entertainment available to common-men has complemented the increase in IQ which is probably best explained by developments in education.
You got a problem with Dystopia?

What about Datopia over there, huh? You got a problem with that topia as well?

You know what, I got a problem with Utopia. So shutup your face.
Quote by bass-man9712
i believe we have set the bar higher than just zombie apocalypse, give credit where it's due :/

I meant in terms of how much I look forward to it. being a survivor of a zombie invasion or part of a secret rebel organization hellbent on dismantling an overbearing government both seem exciting, and fantastical.
See, the most plausible dystopians in my opinion are those of Robocop and Idiocracy.

Robocop- In the film, everything had become privatized, including the police, the fire department, etc. Back in the 1980s, people gawked at this idea and used it for entertainment. In the 2010s, this is the goal of many neo-conservative windbags who may as well be fascists.

Idiocracy- There is a lot of scary truth to the idea that natural selection is no longer in play. The weak and unintelligent are not being weeded out of society so much anymore. To reference another movie, Forrest Gump had a kid for Christ's sake!
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I think you don't know what a dystopia is.

This.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by severed-metal
You got a problem with Dystopia?

What about Datopia over there, huh? You got a problem with that topia as well?

You know what, I got a problem with Utopia. So shutup your face.

I drink your milkshake.
Just pointing out that Nazi Germany is considered as a real Dystopia society by most historians.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by StratoCatser
This.

I don't think I've seen you post anything even close to constructive today, just attempts at being a witty goon.

OT: I am more than fully aware of what a dystopia is, having read a couple of books, played games, watched movies, and generally read about them etc, forgive me for not using perfect or even accurate examples and having poor grammer skills today. I am going go with the ever popular lack of sleep excuse. But atleast the last chunk of responses weren't all insecurity induced insults, but actual opinions and thoughts on the attempted subject, hoping for a lot more of those.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Idiocracy- There is a lot of scary truth to the idea that natural selection is no longer in play. The weak and unintelligent are not being weeded out of society so much anymore. To reference another movie, Forrest Gump had a kid for Christ's sake!

Forrest Gump was an immensely successful individual. Just sayin'.

In fact that's the point of the movie.
Last edited by rgrockr at Aug 30, 2010,
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

Only to find out that the TS doesnt know what dystopia is. :/
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I could see it happening in our lifetime. Most people are to fucking stupid to realize what the fuck is going on around them, and with all of the conservatives that follow their government because they 'can do no wrong' it's very likely that it could happen at some point.

Also TS how are body scanners at the airport a sign of the coming Dystopian society? Those are there so we don't have another 9/11 or something worse happen.

IRISH_EDIT: Another way would also be for just the wrong person to get into power, and for that person to be a complete control freak. All you really need to do is turn a country into what Nazi Germany was, and you'll be there. So all we can do is just hope that someone like Hitler doesn't dome into power again.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Aug 30, 2010,
I think the world is becoming to technological, if that's what you're asking about. There's only so much you can do.

Dystopia is the bomb, Children of Men is the most realistic to me.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Craigo
The type of dramas which are appearing on TV at the moment are more complex and have more intricate detail than ever. It'd be a shame to denounce popular shows as Lost as a 'banal [appeal] to the senses'. We've got a century of common men radio-listening, novel reading, TV watching behind us when the best thing a common man could originally do with his spare time would be to go down the pub. IQs are rising by 3 points every decade and I wouldn't be surprised if the vast increase and variety of information-based forms of entertainment available to common-men has complemented the increase in IQ which is probably best explained by developments in education.

But I'm not letting my guard down while people still consider Fox news "fair and unbiased" and reality tv shows are still watched religiously.
when I visited taiwan last summer, there were security cameras fixed on buildings and such.

1984 came to mind first, but nobody really thinks much of it, since they're more for security reasons (mainly for recording crimes, violence, blah blah blah) than anything. I guess they're helpful in that type of retardedly crowded environment, too
Quote by bass-boy-garith
I don't think I've seen you post anything even close to constructive today, just attempts at being a witty goon.

OT: I am more than fully aware of what a dystopia is, having read a couple of books, played games, watched movies, and generally read about them etc, forgive me for not using perfect or even accurate examples and having poor grammer skills today. I am going go with the ever popular lack of sleep excuse. But atleast the last chunk of responses weren't all insecurity induced insults, but actual opinions and thoughts on the attempted subject, hoping for a lot more of those.

If you do understand the concept of a dystopian society, you aren't using it correctly.

Dystopia: state in which the conditions of life are extremely bad as from deprivation or oppression or terror.

Security systems at airports do not really show any coorelation to a dystopian society.

They'd be characteristic of a dystopian society if you were submitted to a full body scan without your consent whenever you went into public.

It's hard to contribute to a thread that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Also TS how are body scanners at the airport a sign of the coming Dystopian society? Those are there so we don't have another 9/11 or something worse happen.

Well, I was trying to say that the threads about that and the retina scanners got me thinking about dystopian societies, because in those threads the issue was brought up as a large concern for some people. I guess i should have been smarter and just mentioned 1984, v for vendetta, N.Korea, etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the characteristics of Dystopian societies the illusion of bliss? In 1984, the people were under the impression that Big Brother was protecting them and providing for them, in Brave New World they believed that their mundane pleasures and stability made them happy. It seems to me that Dystopias must not only be oppressive and dreary but also give its citizens the illusion of paradise.

To relate that to the OP, a modern country would be a Dystopia if they installed cameras, retina scanners, etc. and the masses supported it in hopes of safety. In fact, the Patriot Act had elements of that, people essentially sacrificing their rights to "keep them safe."
Last edited by rgrockr at Aug 30, 2010,
im pretty sure the definition of a dystopia can include barren wastelands of nothing but dinosaurs and 80`s rock wizards as well, not just a propaganda-fueled nation
Quote by piratemetalhead
im pretty sure the definition of a dystopia can include barren wastelands of nothing but dinosaurs and 80`s rock wizards as well, not just a propaganda-fueled nation

Nah, I don't think it's an umbrella term for any kind of unpleasant world; I think it's a state of unpleasantness masked by the illusion of a utopia.

This is a little off-topic, but shouldn't it be spelled eutopia? The root "eu-" means "good," (euphoria, etc), at what point was the e dropped?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Well, I was trying to say that the threads about that and the retina scanners got me thinking about dystopian societies, because in those threads the issue was brought up as a large concern for some people. I guess i should have been smarter and just mentioned 1984, v for vendetta, N.Korea, etc.

Don't forget about Nazi Germany, and Stalin era USSR.
The eye scanners I don't like the idea of though, and I agree with you 100% on that. People are gonna be too scared to do anything because of the fact that they know that they're being watched at all times.
Also I don't know how true this is, but I was reading somewhere that there's cameras up so they can see everything that's going on in the streets of London at all times. Could anyone from London clarify this for me?

Also you forgot Animal Farm on that list. That book is a must read if you're interested in Dystopias.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by rgrockr
Nah, I don't think it's an umbrella term for any kind of unpleasant world; I think it's a state of unpleasantness masked by the illusion of a utopia.

This is a little off-topic, but shouldn't it be spelled eutopia? The root "eu-" means "good," (euphoria, etc), at what point was the e dropped?

becouse the root eu was never used.
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Page 1 of 2