i saw the 21 day thread for practice with songs and i am applying it to scales. starting with the pentatonic minor in all keys and positions. my question is what keys are most popular and should i focus on?

i was thinking
em
gm
am
dm?
cm?

thanks for any feedback
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
The pentatonic minor pattern is the same -- the only difference is where you start.

Start with Em I guess, but switch it up frequently. Move down 7 frets and practice Am, move it up 3 frets after that and play in Cm. Don't restrict yourself to only be able to play it in one key at first, because once you know just one pentatonic position, you should be able to play it anywhere.
well i understand that. what im asking is what are the most commonly used keys that i need to be the most comfortable in

Quote by gregs1020

Key shouldn't really matter, you should be comfortable everywhere. but i guess I like playing in Am the most, though the most common key in rock and metal is probs Em. Em, Am, and Dm, I would doing first, though they should all be equal since all you're doing is moving it up or down
Quote by uncboy19
well i understand that.

Not really. The concept that one key is somehow inherently "superior" or "inferior" to another is ludicrous.

If you're serious about studying theory and learning how to play with other musicians, you shouldn't even worry about which key is most popular. You should feel equally comfortable in all keys.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
i meant i understand the scale shapes are the same just in different positions

Quote by travislausch
If you're serious about studying theory and learning how to play with other musicians, you shouldn't even worry about which key is most popular. You should feel equally comfortable in all keys.

fair enough lol

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by uncboy19
i saw the 21 day thread for practice with songs and i am applying it to scales. starting with the pentatonic minor in all keys and positions. my question is what keys are most popular and should i focus on?

i was thinking
em
gm
am
dm?
cm?

thanks for any feedback

It's a complete waste of your time.

The idea behind the 21 day method is simply to set aside some time to focus on learning to play something.

You don't play scales, you learn them, understand them and ultimately use them. That takes a damnsight longer than 21 days, in fact it never really ends. As far as scales and theory go you're always learning, mentally assigning a timeframe to it is wrongly telling yourself that there's a cut off point where you've learned it all and move on.

Use the 21 day method if you want to nail a tricky piece, although even then it's moot as it's not magic - it's simply setting something down in a structure. Most guitarists are motivated and disciplined enough to do that on their own and the 21 day period itself is no guarantee - if you're good enough you'll nail something, possibly in less time, if you're not good enough then you won't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com