Right now I'm in need of a new guitar and I'm going for the best used for around 450. I play mainly 80s metal and just a lot of metal in general but I listen to all genres and would love to be able to get a good clean sound also.

My friend is selling a Dean ML 79 from the 80s for 450 and I was wondering if this would be the best for the price.

Any advice is appreciated. thanks.
On that price range, first thing that comes to mind is Ibanez. They make great guitars for metal in that range.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Yeah, Ibanez comes to mind. The 350DX and RG370DX come to mind- both are $400, but for the life of me I can't tell a difference aside from one having a pickguard.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by bartnijman
try agile (rondomusic.com). they have beuatifull guitars for little money.

I agree with this. For what you are looking to pay you could buy something like the Ghost lll and still have enough left over to put some sweet pickups in it, and you cant lose with pretty much any of the Agile AL's and AB's. But if that does not work for you I would suggest looking at the midrange ibanez, jackson's, and schecter. But keep an eye out on craigslist. You can find some awsome deals on there such as I know one dude selling a Epi les paul goth studio for $150.
For that price range you should check out some Ibanez models... for metal, you should check out one with active pick ups.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
So any Ibanez suggestions that would be best around 450 preferably with a FR and actives?
For $400 you'd get an Ibanez with a crappy Edge III trem. A Dean ML from the 80's, if its in good condition and a good model, will be a much better choice. 80's Charvels, Kramers, Jacksons, heck even MIJ Fender's would be a better choice. Fender's not metal enough? Iron Maiden anyone?
If you do your research, and you know exactly what you're buying you'll get a much better deal on the used market. I'll give you an example, I was thinking of selling my '86 Kramer Focus 1000 with EMG 85 18v mod, MIJ by ESP, German OFR, clean as a whistle with a new case....$350. Here's a photo, but please no one message me as I've decided to keep it

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/dsotm80/DSC01821.jpg

Anyways, I've seen BC Rich Gunslinger's go for around $400 or less. That would be a much better choice in my opinion if you're looking for something new or barely used. Stay away from any cheap Ibanez is my opinion, especially if its got an Edge III bridge.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
For $400 you'd get an Ibanez with a crappy Edge III trem. A Dean ML from the 80's, if its in good condition and a good model, will be a much better choice. 80's Charvels, Kramers, Jacksons, heck even MIJ Fender's would be a better choice. Fender's not metal enough? Iron Maiden anyone?
If you do your research, and you know exactly what you're buying you'll get a much better deal on the used market. I'll give you an example, I was thinking of selling my '86 Kramer Focus 1000 with EMG 85 18v mod, MIJ by ESP, German OFR, clean as a whistle with a new case....$350. Here's a photo, but please no one message me as I've decided to keep it

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/dsotm80/DSC01821.jpg

Anyways, I've seen BC Rich Gunslinger's go for around $400 or less. That would be a much better choice in my opinion if you're looking for something new or barely used. Stay away from any cheap Ibanez is my opinion, especially if its got an Edge III bridge.

+3.14

This is pretty good advice. Follow it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
there is the RG5EX1, $500 comes with FR and dual locks
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Used MIJ Ibanez. RG550s, 770s or most older models are packing win.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Go with a true used 80's metal guitar. Kramer Focus (the real one's from the 80's with OFRs), Charvels, Jacksons, Ibanez RG5* (not the newer ones). They will all be made in Japan with top notch build quality.

Here are a couple of steals....esp the focus 1000....you could flip it on Ebay for $300 EASY if you didn't like it.....