Poll: pick guard or no pick guard?
Poll Options
View poll results: pick guard or no pick guard?
i wont buy a guitar without a pick guard
13 23%
it does non matter to me
32 57%
your a moron! who cares?
14 25%
Voters: 56.
i mean seriously in MY opinion they look cheap if they have no pick guard. i could see the most expensive Taylor and it could feel like heaven but without a pick guard i would not buy it (i know you can buy pick guards and have the tech slap one one)

i mean im not real picky (HAHA PUN) but when i play my pick tends to chew up the pick guard so i would hate not having one

what is your opinion?
to me a pick guard is more about looks. looks good on strats and lespauls but not on prs
it depends on the guitar.

imagine a strat without one

now imagine a warlock with one
I have a Taylor T5 (Koa) without the pickguard. Honestly, I wouldn't want one covering up that tone wood. A pickguard would detract from the looks of the guitar. On the other highend Taylors, they don't put them on due to it making them look cheap. I'm getting ready to buy a Taylor 914CE and it doesn't have one. I won't miss it.

FWIW, I installed a temporary pickguard on my T5 and will do the same thing with the 914CE. For about $10, you can buy a pickguard that's removeable - and clear.

Edit: My PRS CE24 doesn't have one either. I just don't get carried away when I play it. So far, no problems and no scratches.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Aug 29, 2010,
I could care less. Quite literally half of my guitars have had pick guards, and the other half have not.

My main guitar, at the moment, is a Guild CO-2. It's a nice, fairly expensive, guitar without a pick guard. It's already scratched up pretty bad underneath the sound hole, but that's just character. If I'm taking a guitar out and about to play with, then its going to get wear and tear on it eventually. It just gives the guitar a bit of character.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
You can add a pick guard for like... $10. Adding one aftermarket is no different than the ones that come stock.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
As captivate says. Kind of depends on how you play... If you are an energetic flatpicker, presently your lovely tone wood will be covered with scratches or even suffer loss of finish and chewed-up wood.
A'la Willie Nelson...
If you're a relatively gentle fingerstyle guy who plays without picks... Enjoy your pretty guitar.
On acoustics, they have to have pickguards. They just don't look complete without them. Les Pauls, I can go either way, but like having the pickgaurd more.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
On acoustics, they have to have pickguards. They just don't look complete without them. Les Pauls, I can go either way, but like having the pickgaurd more.

I beg to differ.

[Click to Enlarge]
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I myself hate pickguards on acoustics
I want you to put on your pretty summer dress
You can wear your Easter bonnet and all the rest
And I wanna make love to you yes, yes, yes when the healing has begun
-Van the Fuckin' Man
It's really whatever to me. My guitar came with a pickguard, but it wasn't stuck onto it, I guess Alvarez decided to throw one along with it in case somebody wanted it, but not put it on in case someone didn't. I like mine without it, I like the look of the wood on it...If I could get a nice clear one, I may put it on, just to protect it.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by Vauxite
I beg to differ.

[Click to Enlarge]

Thats is a good looking guitar... so I guess not all guitars need pick guards. But with the way I strum, it would be scratched up within 10 minutes.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I want you to put on your pretty summer dress
You can wear your Easter bonnet and all the rest
And I wanna make love to you yes, yes, yes when the healing has begun
-Van the Fuckin' Man
Quote by the1967mustang
Thats is a good looking guitar... so I guess not all guitars need pick guards. But with the way I strum, it would be scratched up within 10 minutes.

That's my acoustic, it's a little scratched but you can only notice it when you hold it to the light.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
i like pickgaurds on most things, even LPs.

i guess i really dont care
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
It really just depends on the guitar for me. Guitars made with the "normal" topwoods like spruce or cedar or even non-figured maple look better with a pickguard because of how plain looking the wood is on its own. However, I consider it sacrilige to have a pickguard on a guitar made with exotic/figured tonewoods, like koa.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Depends on the guitar.

For example, my Strat wouldn't look right without one, and my Jackson wouldn't look right with one.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.