hey guys
i was considering scalloping my frets (21-24 only), on my ESP LTD KH-202. My only problem is this...

On the 24th fret, it has a ivory logo, with "KH-202" on it. (See picture) I dont want to damage this, so any help is appreciated. Will scalloping it damage this?

btw, not my KH-202 in the picture...found it on google images...
Attachments:
kh 202.jpg
I would NOT risk it.

It could either be deep enough so that scalloping won't affect it at all (asides from making it curved in visually)

Or it could annihilate the inlay, in which case if you care about whether or not it stays there DON'T DO IT.

I have ruined many inlays from scalloping. Eventually you get over it because it's easier to play, but it's never a pretty sight when it goes wrong.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Read the entire post please, as it contains relevant information from a personal account nearly exactly the same as your situation...

I scalloped from 12-22 on my LTD, with a similar logo/inlay on the 12th fret. I was able to scallop it fairly deeply and it came out largely unscathed. If you do wish to scallop it, and do take off a letter or number, you CAREFULLY carve it back in (the inlay on my guitar was acrylic) with an exacto knife and then hit it with a fine point sharpie (or a very fine Micron art pen, sold at most art and craft stores) and it will by and large look fine. However, if you do not feel that you can carve it in this accurately, simply don't scallop it. Or do. No balls no glory.

If, during your filing away, you see a character scratch off, stop immediately, even out the the rest of the scallop, sand it smooth, then carve and color in your new letter.

As a preemptive test, run your finger over the inlay. Are the characters etched in or printed on? In my case, a letter "M" was simply printed on the surface, and scratched off with the most primary filing, while the rest of the model number continued down into the surface of the acrylic, and remained until the final scallop.

Observe observe observe, do some pondering, weigh your pros and cons, then act. And act slowly and deliberately when you do. Don't hack at it all willy-nilly. Think.

Pro: If you ever take a scalloped neck guitar to college, fellow guitarists and ladies will be all-upons. They also play really well, and you get some nifty bends and some crazy wide vibrato.
My Gear:
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
Ibanez RGT42
PRS Santana SE

Randall RG50TC

DOD YJM308 Preamp Overdrive
Digitech RP250

Tortex jazz picks (1.14 mm)
Quote by GODhimself37
I would NOT risk it.

It could either be deep enough so that scalloping won't affect it at all (asides from making it curved in visually)

Or it could annihilate the inlay, in which case if you care about whether or not it stays there DON'T DO IT.

I have ruined many inlays from scalloping. Eventually you get over it because it's easier to play, but it's never a pretty sight when it goes wrong.

why does your avatar reflect your whole post so much....
Quote by AICfreak
why does your avatar reflect your whole post so much....

because that was my face when i messed up once

...unless you were calling me ignorant about scalloping
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Just do it, not like it's a classic guitar anyways, but do 12-24, its much better.
If the frets are something like jumbo tall, why even scallop? It would feel no different,
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
If the frets are something like jumbo tall, why even scallop? It would feel no different,

On the last 4 frets you would since you use more pressure on your fingers they can grab the string better after the frets have been scalloped, I did this on my LTD and it feels alot better
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.