OK, today I decided I'd build a pedalboard with the help of Ikea's GORM shelves. This sounded great in theory, but the problems I've run into so far include:
-Crossbeams cracking when removed from frame
-Crossbeams cracking when reattached to frame
-Drill bit breaking off in the wood (I wasn't pushing down at all)
-Different drill bet flatly refusing to go through wood at all in certain places (Was pushing down a lot)
-Yet another drill bit catching and cracking the wood
-Countersinking bit biting the wood and cracking it
-Screws biting the wood and cracking it

Other than the fact that I clearly need new drill bits, does anyone have tips I can use to prevent this from happening again? I got 2 units and I'm using this as my test run. I also had to use about a third of a large tube of wood putty to cover everything up afterwards so I'm not sure how many more screwups I'm allowed.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
You should drill small guide holes before you drill larger holes. Never just go straight to a large hole. I'm not sure what else would be causing your bit failure unless they're just plain dull. Same thing for screws, make a guide hole the size of the core of the screw shaft.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
You should drill small guide holes before you drill larger holes. Never just go straight to a large hole. I'm not sure what else would be causing your bit failure unless they're just plain dull. Same thing for screws, make a guide hole the size of the core of the screw shaft.

The bit I was using for the pilot holes is the one that broke. After that the smallest one I had was the size of the core of the screw shaft. Honestly I think the problem might be that it's just cheap wood.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
extremely dry wood and extremely dull drill bits sound like the problem to me.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
extremely dry wood and extremely dull drill bits sound like the problem to me.

That sounds about right. Should storing the other board in a more humid environment help or will it just warp?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

well, you can try putting it in a more humid environment until you get it built. Get the new drill bits first and see how that goes. Save the good one until you know for sure. If all else fails you can build a gorm style board pretty easily with lumber from the lumberyard.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}