I have a jazz combo audition in two days and tomorrow they are going to give me the piece we'll play so I can practice it for 24 hrs first.

What aspects of the piece should I really focus on when practicing it? I'll need to comp, maybe read a melody line, maybe solo. Do you have any suggestions for what I should do to make the most of my 24 hrs?
focus on comping well, phrasing the melodic and demonstrating melodic control and the ability to play changes when soloing/phrasing, embellishing or arranging the melody. Dont worry about complex comping either, just use good voicings and voicelead carefully. make sure there is some kind of melody in the top line of your comping and that you are adding to, not detracting from the solo. you also do not need to play a chord every bar. also think about your eighth notes and keep them consistent, do you play straight eighths and really lay into them in a modern feel, or do you swing your eighth notes like many more traditional players. project (or just be) a strong, individual sound that can function well in the ensemble and make the other players sound better.
spend most of your time playing the changes. you'd be a badass if you came in sheetless and just did it from memory. if you're new to this i'd recommend taking a sheet of manuscript paper, putting four bars per stave and writing the changes in. then, in bass clef, write out a bass line to walk the changes. it's good to write it out because you'll see that visually on the paper you want a certain contour. hence the term "walking" it gives it an up and down motion.

also, not applicable if this is a latin tune.

nobody gives a rat's ass about your solo'ing. sorry, brah. that is, unless, you give them something to give a rat's ass about. but you're never going to get a gig as a bassist if some sax player thinks you're a great soloist. bass is a comp role in jazz. if you want to get hired, accept that. you'll get your solos, but don't get tiffed when everyone in the crowd is talking over it or the sax player is talking to the drummer while you go at it for a few choruses. bass is just an awkward instrument to solo on. it's naturally quiet and very difficult to play in the upper register cleanly while "enunciating" so to speak. sustain is a bitch up there. but i'm probably gonna try out some pirastro jazzers next time i'm due for a string change. those ring for days, man. hopefully they'll still do so on my bass.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Aug 30, 2010,