so ive come up with a few riffs that are starting to really frustrating me.. not because im having trouble playing them, not because im having trouble expanding on them, but because i cant figure out what scale the notes belong to.. all the licks use the same 5 notes;

E G G#/Ad B D ...

now i know that if i add a 'C' in there it becomes G# augmented, but since im 90% sure that the key is E major that doesnt really work... on top of that, ive actually tried to use C thinking maybe i really was using G# augmented but to no avail, C doesnt fit and sounds off key in and around the licks i mentioned earlier...

any of UGs esteemed theorists mind helping me out here?
Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Aug 30, 2010,
throwing those notes into guitar pro, the closest I get to what you're saying is E Half-Whole scale or E Hungarian Major scale.
Hope that helps,
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
It's likely to be C# blues.

Edit: Looking closer, you could put it under Ab harmonic minor, D lydian, Gb aeolian, D melodic minor, or even B aeolian.

Also falls under Db minor, E major&minor, and G major pentatonics.

Depends on your chord choices now, I guess.

http://www.dan-nilsson.se/scalefinder/ just found that to verify what I said lol.

Make sure you pick some fun chords and give melodies those odd 9ths and 13th notes to make it sound big :p
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Last edited by Chikao42 at Aug 30, 2010,
E7#9 (Hendrix Chord) Arpeggio, sounds like to me. E7= E, G#, B, D; #9 = F##(enharmonic of G).

Hope this helps!
I would say E minor with a raised 2nd and 3rd... E Fx G# (A) B (C) D. The 'x' means double sharp so Fx would sound as G. I put A and C in parentheses because you did not state them but they are implied. But the A and C could make the biggest difference in what scales you are working with here. Hope that helped a little...
C harmonic major? just add a G and a F.
C D E F G Ab B
its more a Jazz thing but the notes fit do they not?
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
thanks to everyone for the replys,

seaborgium, the arpeggio you pointed out was just what i needed, it confirmed the key (E maj) and from there i found that josher.k's suggestion to try E hungarian major was also correct, that was the scale i was looking for... thanks guys!
I cant really tell, as there is no context of progression, cadence, chords or knowing the riffs.. not every note needs to be in the key neccecarily.

But looking at it, it could be:

E minor or G Major ('cept for the G#)
B minor or D Major (again, no G#.. but how does C# sound rather than C?)
Some sort of altered pentatonic.

It could be in a exotic scale, or maybe in a key whom's tonic/root isnt featured. But I have a few rules of thumb.. I dont name scales if there is no tonic / root featured, and I always try to see thinks as a normal Major scale type before I start at exotics.
It's using both the e major scale and the e minor pentatonic. Pretty common.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's using both the e major scale and the e minor pentatonic. Pretty common.

This, or a E7#9 depending on the use/context.
^ Yeah, what Alan and Griff said. You say you're sure that the key is E Major -- if that's true then it's certainly the E Major scale with a b3 (G) added in. This is common in Blues and bluesy music like Pearl Jam or Blind Melon or even Clapton. As griff said, this could be the result of an E7#9 chord. To really decide what's going on we would need more context.
i don't know why i feel so dry