I'm considering buying a new guitar. I can only afford to buy $500 guitars and less so I'll buy a Japanese or Korean guitar, but I'm confusing which kind of guitar I should buy ! I like to play some punk pop, punk rock and sometime some song such as Canon rock ! I always love Strat, so I think I'll buy a HSS strat. But I have a thought that I should try a Les Paul ! So, I need some advises about what I should buy!
Play them both then decide. No matter what we tell you it shouldn't influence which guitar feels and sounds better to you.
For $500.00, you can probably get more Strat than Les Paul. Still, play them both and see which one you like best. If you can't decide, flip a coin. Either way, you'll end up with a good guitar.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Neither.For 500.00 I would go for a Gibson Melody Maker. You can find one for way less then 500 and there is no guitar made by any company that can compete with it for playability and having a unique sound.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
500 notes would get you a nice modern superstrat. Take a look at Washburn's X50 Pro Q or FE. Strat type body but set neck and mahogany body and neck and twin humbuckers (coil tapped). Could be the middle ground between the Strat and Les Paul that allows you to cover more styles.
Quote by Bhaok
Neither.For 500.00 I would go for a Gibson Melody Maker. You can find one for way less then 500 and there is no guitar made by any company that can compete with it for playability and having a unique sound.

no offense there, but the melody maker really feels, look and sounds cheap...

I'd go for a mexi strat or an epi les paul personally, or maybe an Agile, TS?
Try both. They are very different and you will prefer one over the other. Only You will know whats best for you.I'd go for a Gibson Les Paul Studio or MIM Fender Strat.Buy used if you can(try first).You will get your money back on a used Gibson or Fender if you dont like it.
Quote by Darkflame

It is a solid guitar. Granted it does not weigh a lot compared to a Les Paul But,it will the neck is great and it sounds killer. I would take one over the imports.Yes. I do own and play one.So I am not talking out of my ass like most people on the internut that go by a picture they see. Oh look it is shiny it must be good.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I've seen several USA strats going for around $500 and I prefer the veratility of an HHS strat.
Quote by Darkflame

the melody maker is misunderstood. i think the only truth hidden behind anyones negative impressions of them is that the lack of features doesn't do the build quality enough justice for them personally. they are exceptionally good quality guitars for the price, but you have to look past the bland exterior to really see the quality within.

Of course a lot of people would probably enjoy a MIM strat or an epiphone les paul better due to the luxury of having 2 or maybe even 3 pickups! or a schecter, which even has coil taps!

i could've bought a '65 melody maker one time.. i wish i had
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I say either a used MIA or MIJ Strat.

Or you could get a used MIM Strat with a used Agile LP for both around 500 bucks?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Greco, Burny or Orville
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by Darkflame

I second the Agile suggestion.
your not going to find much of a les paul for 500 of anything, and mexi strats in my opinion are not really all that great.
Quote by peterocker
Greco, Burny or Orville

this. if you're in that sort of budget and decide to go for a les paul copy, it'd be a waste of money to get an agile when you can get one of these pretty cheap used if you look hard enough. They aren't the most easy to find since gibson doesn't like them getting out of japan but they are definitely worth it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
imho strats sound sort of weak inless u buy new pickups
go for a gibson melody make or a epiphone les paul standard
I would go with the Strat. You can get a really good one for the price you are quoting, rather than getting a sub-par Les PAul.

ron666
Unfortunately you are going to have to try them out to see which one you prefer. Nothing anybody on this board can say will help you with your purchase because Les Pauls and Strats are so different in so many ways that you may love one and hate the other when it comes to playing them.

I primarily use Ibanez S series guitars and to me they are the best guitars made. Others hate the thin bodies and thin necks. I also own a strat, which to me is a very comfortable guitar to play, the neck is comfortable, the body is contoured well and the sound is unique to me, as only a SSS strat sounds like an SSS strat.

I have tried several Gibsons in the past including Les Pauls and SG's and I can note the quality of the instruments but I absolutely hate them. To me the bodies are uncomfortable, the upper fret access is horrible and the necks feel like baseball bats. I really cannot play them.

You really have to go try some guitars to make your decisions because one persons dream guitar can be total crap to another person. It really is all to do with preference.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Thank guys. I watched clip on youtube, and I love Strat sound, so bright! That is why I bought a Squier strat in the first place, but I think it's a fake one. I usually play it without plugging in, because it sounds terrible (or my amp sounds terrible, I don't know :-p). And I absolutely love its neck! But recently, I watched and I heard that the Les Paul sounds pretty good too, especially with high gain!
I'm so confused !
Sometimes an SG can be set up to give you a little bit of both worlds.

Right now I have a Stedman Pro $125 with upgraded tuners and pickups.
It plays great. The reason I got it was because I always wanted a solid basswood
les paul. well over 8 lbs and has a very strong mid presence. Its worth testing.

be warned: quality can be hit and miss. I had to return the first because the neck
was cut out pretty badly. Anyways..Basswood gets laughed at by some players
but it goes very well with rectifiers.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 31, 2010,