Not trying to get BR00TALZ tone out of it, I have no interest in that shit. But I can't even get a decent classic rock tone. Like the part just before David Gilmours final solo on Comfortably Numb, that power chord right before it has awesome tone, single coils though, right?

What am I doing wrong? I mean, I know I won't get good tone out of my cube. But this just sounds TERRIBLE. It's all hiss and fuzzy and just sounds disgusting even to an untrained ear. Do I really just need to get a new neck pickup for my Strat? Or am I doing something wrong?
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
I know, but, as much as I'd like it, I'm not trying to get tone of that level. I just want it to sound semi passable. And even playing through a high-end Marshall the sound has been kinda lacklustre.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Quote by kLinic
I know, but, as much as I'd like it, I'm not trying to get tone of that level. I just want it to sound semi passable. And even playing through a high-end Marshall the sound has been kinda lacklustre.

but thats the only way...

try turning down the gain,and still if it doesnt work,try a VST tube amp sim and a IR cab...they sound quite realistic
I know, I really do. -_- But I'm not trying to nail his tone. I just don't want the tone to sound like the bastard love child of an MG and a Spider. >_> The distorted tone sounds decent enough on my Cort with humbuckers. No, it doesn't sound good or like a real tube amp, but it's passable for band practice.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
wow people really don't listen... He's not buying a new amp ffs!

How much have your tried different EQ settings? All pickup choices?

*edit* took a look on the layout of your amp(thanks google) and understand there are several different "amp-types" you can use... have you gone trough them all? Tweaked all channels as much as possible?

Have a little reverb on?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Last edited by backtothe70s at Aug 30, 2010,
If you can't get a usable tone that is not your amp's fault, the Cube is a decent amp. Sounds like something else is going on...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by backtothe70s
wow people really don't listen... He's not buying a new amp ffs!

How much have your tried different EQ settings? All pickup choices?

the thing is pickups wont make a difference to his tone with a cube..hed be better off,investing that money to buya new amp...

yeah try fiddling with the EQ a bit,or buy a EQ pedal...still if things doesnt work,try a VST ampsim and IR cabs....like I said earlier they sound quite realistic
Stratocasters are known for Fuzz on the pick ups. particularly if they are all the way up/down.

try looking around for things that may cause "interference" or watnot.
EG television and monitor.
I find my Strat picks up a LOT of crap with the TV and my OLD monitor, I find it's CRT screens that cause it.

also, you should invest in an overdrive pedal I'd say.
That augments your gain and makes it sound prettier.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by archenemyfan
the thing is pickups wont make a difference to his tone with a cube..hed be better off,investing that money to buya new amp...

I didn't made myself clear on that I see. I didn't mean to say he should buy new pickups, but to try all combinations of those he got, neck, neck+middle, bridge etc.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s
I didn't made myself clear on that I see. I didn't mean to say he should buy new pickups, but to try all combinations of those he got, neck, neck+middle, bridge etc.

ah oops my bad

TS,if you can record a short clip with a good mic..we can see if its regular SS distortion or if there is something really wrong with it
I'm afraid I don't have even a decent microphone to record the sound with. :/ Also I found the same problem when playing through a JCM 900 and a Marshall Class 5. Mind you, I kind of was trying to go for a more distorted tone then I should have on a strat with the JCM 900, and maybe I just don't like the tone of the Class 5. I'll try rolling the tone and volume back a little and see if that helps a bit, and maybe a little less distortion on the cube too.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
I can pull of a classic rock tone with my HSS strat like this: I use a overdrive pedal and go a little easy on the gain. I take my tone knops and turn them all the way up. On the EQ on my amp, I turn the bass up, the treple down and the middles a tad up. The amp is just SS - no tubes.
If I want to do some lead I use the neck and middle+neck for rythm work.

We might just have a different opnion on what the classic rock tone is, but the above is sort of a Backman-Turner Overdrive like tone.

Edit: Of course I mean SSH.
Last edited by Fender Dane. at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Yeah dude. David Gilmour? You need tubes.

x2
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Well, how do you think a Laney LC30 would hold up for this sort of thing? It's a tube at least. Demos seem to sound quite nice to me.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Switch to the bridge pick up, put on some overdrive and mess with the tone knob. If you can eq, the two basic types of distortion that work for me are either with scooped mids or boosted mids, low treble and mid/low bass.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by Guitar Sushi
Try out blackstar. They have really impressed me thus far.

This.

Get a HT-5 and you won't regret it, or at least try one out.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Quote by kLinic

I have a Squier Strat and it sounds so good with my Marshall Valvestate.
The amp is your problem, don't blame the strat
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.
well David Gilmour used big muffes in his tone, right ? (I'm not a big fan or anything, I'm just saying this based on what I read)
if so, maybe a big muff would help?

otherwise, I don't know... I love my ''strat'' on an overdriven amp, but then again my overdriven amp is an Orange AD30...
a few ideas. back off the treble and boost the mids and bass for starters. you can't use the same settings as you do for a humbucker guitar. bear in mind that strats will maintain a fairly clean sound even with a fair amount of distortion, this is what makes leads sound so clear (but you need to be more precise with your picking). my biggest suggestion is to try using a distortion pedal thru your amps clean channel. i've been doing this for many years (since i started playing before high gain amps were common) and have had plenty of success. guys like gilmour do the same thing.
get a tube amp and a rat fuzz/ distortion. have fun
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>