I was just wondering what they are really, I think ive got the main jist of it.

Preamp is all your EQ/effects which goes into a poweramp which amplifies the signal which goes into a Speaker which gives you output/sound.

Is this right?

Will a Preamp work straight through a speaker or is the poweramp essential?

At the moment I have a crate flexwave 120W head going through a Krank Rev cab. I absolutely hate the flexwave and wish I didnt waste my money on it.

So if someone could explain the way preamps and poweramps work thatd be great.
A poweramp is essential because a preamp on its own doesn't provide enough power to drive the speaker. It does amplify a tiny bit, but it's mostly for tone-shaping reasons rather than power.

A preamp can probably drive headphones on its own. Not much else.
The preamp raises the signal level from the guitar sufficiently to drive the power amp. The power amp raises the signal level produced from preamp to a level sufficient to drive the speakers.
The tone controls are in the preamp section.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could run a preamp into your Flexwave's power amp (run the preamp into the effects return).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
wouldnt running the preamp through the flexwave take the flexwaves preamp characteristics though? that is something that I do not want as the flexwave is terrible.

So pretty much if im gonna shell out for a preamp im gonna have to buy a decent poweramp to go with it.

Cheers guys.
Running your preamp into the effects return bypasses the Flexwave's preamp so all you will hear from the flexwave is its power amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification