Ok. New amp time. Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier or Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100

I am not interested in volume or price. I am all about the tone. I play metal (not too heavy) and classic rock along with some mild shit (bluesy I guess).

Which one? Because if I look at each review they both say the amps are great and THEY BOTH CAN'T SHUT THE F**K UP ABOUT HOW THEY OWN EACH OTHER. e.g. on the Marshall review page everyone is like "Mesa sucks" and vice versa. I'd like a really honest opinion from someone whoes played both.

I'm more interested in lead tone. Which sounds better?
Well tone is subjective, as you stated you played classic rock I'd immediately suggest the Marshal, but for Metal the Dual Rectifier is damn good. Thats not to say the Dual Rec cannot do crunch, in my experience you can get a really awesome blues/crunch tone with it. And on the otherhand the Marshall can very well do Metal with a slight boost.

Try them at a store,
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Depends on which Rectifier. If it's a 2000s Recto, I'd pass; they're great rhythm amps in my experience (esp. when boosted) but not-so-great for leads. If it's a '90s 2-channel or a 2010 3-channel Recto, I'd go for one of those over the TSL.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You'll have to try them for yourself because they are very different amps and which is better depends on your own tastes really but having said that few people would disagree that DSL > TSL.
Is the DSL > Recto? Does an apple taste better than a banana?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm going to go with the Marshall. I think if the metal you're not playing is so high gain/heavy, then there's no reason to get the dual rectifier. As said before, you can always buy a pedal to boost the gain if needed on the Marshall. But overall, I think the JCM2000 will do just fine for about everything you're going to be playing.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
I love my JCM 2000 TSL 602.....I sold my stiletto trident to get it and I'm damn glad I did.......the best chrunch channel I've heard and the cleans are good and the lead channel is great....
if you're playing more metal than classic rock, go with the mesa. They sound ****ING AMAZING. But if you're going to playing more classic rock, the marshall. All in all though, i say the mesa.
Always Rock!
I play a lot more than Classic rock.....with my TSL.
The TSL is a very muddy amp. The dual rectifier isn't the warmest amp, although it does excel at modern metal tones.
If you want the Marshall thing, get a 2203 or a Splawn Quickrod/Nitro.
If you want the Metal thing but more versatility, a Mark IV or a Stilletto would be good.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

The DSL really only sounds good with a boost on the gain channel, sound wise, it can't hold a candle to a Recto in the metal department. If you go for a 2 channel Recto, that is by far my favorite Mesa ever produced, and I've owned almost every Mesa ever produced

The 2 channel Recto is a high gain beast, cleans are decent as well and you can get a decent crunch with it for lower gain stuff. The DSL might be a bit better in cleans and crunch, but if I had a choice between the two, it'd be Recto all the way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jimbob78
The TSL is a very muddy amp. The dual rectifier isn't the warmest amp, although it does excel at modern metal tones.
If you want the Marshall thing, get a 2203 or a Splawn Quickrod/Nitro.
If you want the Metal thing but more versatility, a Mark IV or a Stilletto would be good.

I don't agree my TSL is not muddy.....not even close....its no muddier than my Boogie Mark III, stiletto trident, Budda sd 18......pre amp tubes make a huge difference with this amp.
Normally for metal I would've suggested the Dual Rec, but if your not wanting particularly heavy metal tones, as well as classic rock and blues, I think you would be far better off with a Marshall. You would probably find it easier to get the lighter tones out of the Marshall than the Mesa.
Quote by robhc
Normally for metal I would've suggested the Dual Rec, but if your not wanting particularly heavy metal tones, as well as classic rock and blues, I think you would be far better off with a Marshall. You would probably find it easier to get the lighter tones out of the Marshall than the Mesa.

I agree.......the crunch channel and a TS = early metallica.....
Shit I sold my stiletto after I played the tsl 602......then went and bought the 602.....it has the best crunch channel on any amp I've owned....from the blues to kick on a TS and play some metal....it coves a shit load of territory.....IMO
Splawn Quickrod. It's a JCM800 and soooo much more.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The lead channel is damn good also big thick and with good tubes and speakers in my amp not muddy......if you get it mess around with some different tubes...its amazing how much you can change this amp with 12ax7s......it's classic marshall!
Quote by mmjohn
The lead channel is damn good also big thick and with good tubes and speakers in my amp not muddy......if you get it mess around with some different tubes...its amazing how much you can change this amp with 12ax7s......it's classic marshall!
I hope you'll pardon me for pointing out that you appear to be an enormous fanboy.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I really like the marshall jvm series
very versatile and awesome tones.

for mesa either a mark series 4 or 5 or a dual rectifier, all great sounding versatile amps
Quote by Kanthras
I hope you'll pardon me for pointing out that you appear to be an enormous fanboy.

Geeezzz man no shit why that's why I own it.....if you read my post I sold my stiletto trident to get it.....u sir are the master of the obvious...
if lead tone is what you want this will give you a pretty good idea of what you can expect from the Mesa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSborNTfjDM

personally i'd go for the Mesa cos that is my video lol, but i'd try out both and see what you like
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by mmjohn
Geeezzz man no shit why that's why I own it.....if you read my post I sold my stiletto trident to get it.....u sir are the master of the obvious...

i dont know why and i could be wrong but im kinda doubting you had a stiletto trident. and even if you did its 150 watts so i doubt you cranked it enough to get a good tone.

OT. ts try to find a way to play both and compare. im also pretty aure rectos can be swapped with some el-34's. this wont give you the marshall sound exactly but maybe its good mid ground.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by mmjohn
I know it's obvious, but I was wondering if you were aware that nobody is going to take your advice seriously if you present it like that.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
It completely depends on what type of tone you want, the Mesa is an American voiced amp, so it's going to be dark and smooth, the Marshall is a British voiced amp, so it's going to be bright and gritty, now, do you want to play with a dark sounding tone, or do you want a bright tone?

I see Marshall's more with classic metal bands and rock bands, and I see more Mesa's and Peavey's with modern metal.
Quote by Skagasm
i dont know why and i could be wrong but im kinda doubting you had a stiletto trident. and even if you did its 150 watts so i doubt you cranked it enough to get a good tone.

OT. ts try to find a way to play both and compare. im also pretty aure rectos can be swapped with some el-34's. this wont give you the marshall sound exactly but maybe its good mid ground.

Take a look in my profile at my ibanez prestige the stiletto is in the pic....lol and yeah ur wrong it was kranked quie a bit....and its still not as good of an over all amp than the TSL...

Wow my mark III blue stripe

Wow even found one of my budda...

TS sorry to hijack.....but I hate being called a lair....sorry again.
The Series I Stilettos aren't that great IMO. The Series II blows them out of the water. I can see why you'd like the TSL better. Personally, I've never liked a TSL I've played though and that includes one a friend bought and flipped after a few retubes because he couldn't get it to sound all that great. The cleans are pretty nice but I'm not a fan of the gain channels, especially without a boost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You like your TSL, we get it. We got it after you said it the first time.

TS... I don't know, buy a TriAmp or something.
I don't see how a JCM2000 and Recto are comparable, but anyway, without a more detailed description of what you play (how heavy exactly do you go? Any bands that have a tone similar to what you want to achieve?), this is hard to answer.
Quote by TheQuailman

I don't see how a JCM2000 and Recto are comparable, but anyway, without a more detailed description of what you play (how heavy exactly do you go? Any bands that have a tone similar to what you want to achieve?), this is hard to answer.

Holy crap everyone need a valium......
Quote by mmolteratx
The Series I Stilettos aren't that great IMO. The Series II blows them out of the water. I can see why you'd like the TSL better. Personally, I've never liked a TSL I've played though and that includes one a friend bought and flipped after a few retubes because he couldn't get it to sound all that great. The cleans are pretty nice but I'm not a fan of the gain channels, especially without a boost.

Yes like almost every tube amp made .........they do sound better boosted.
Quote by TheQuailman

Bingo.

That is pretty much what I was going to say.

PS: I liked the TSL for what it was

mmjohn is a cool cat - he's just trying to make a point - so back off

mmjohn, quit with the TSL spam already

v.....I know. I did a review thread not too long ago and gave the TSL fairly high marks for being the 'biggest surprise of the day' or something like that
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Bingo.

That is pretty much what I was going to say.

PS: I liked the TSL for what it was

mmjohn is a cool cat - he's just trying to make a point - so back off

mmjohn, quit with the TSL spam already

Lol...not spammin. I've just seen a bunch for sale at good prices and it seems to be one of those parroting issues where people have never tried one and try giving advice....