Hi all,

I am looking for mics for vocals and guitars. What would be nice record guitars directly from the amp and can you use the same mic for vocals?
And would an interface like this: http://www.thomann.de/nl/maudio_fast_track.htm be good?

Thanks in advance!
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
The standard seems to be: Shure SM58 for vocals and Shure SM57 for instruments. If you're only looking to get one mic, I'm not sure which is best. I'm sure someone here knows tho! And that's a perfect starter interface.
Let's party.
So it is possible to record both with 1 mic?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I believe the SM57 is the more versatile of the two and as long as you use a pop filter for vocals there isn't much difference from the SM58. That's the one I'd get if you're only getting one.
Let's party.
generally you would use a condenser for vocals, and a dynamic for Micing an amp.

The SM57 is a good all round dynamic mic - its the "industry standard" mic - this is really good for micing amplifiers. these are about £120

the sm58 is exactly the same as the SM57 but with the round windscreen, this contains a pop shield, where as the 57 does not, the response patterns are exactly the same though to my understanding.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
The SM57 is great for recording guitar, but dynamic mics don't really cut it for recording vocals, they are used more for live vocals because they are durable & are less sensitive. You could record acceptable vocals with an SM57, but the quality wouldn't be good enough for anything serious.

Quote by kakos
The SM57 is a good all round dynamic mic ... these are about £120

Where do you shop??? Mine was £50 second hand but unused, they generally retail for about £80 online.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Aug 30, 2010,
So to make a long story short: My best bet would be buying a SM 57 with a popscreen right?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by Sonny_sam
The SM57 is great for recording guitar, but dynamic mics don't really cut it for recording vocals, they are used more for live vocals because they are durable & are less sensitive. You could record acceptable vocals with an SM57, but the quality wouldn't be good enough for anything serious.

Where do you shop??? Mine was £50 second hand but unused, they generally retail for about £80 online.

I heard that the SM57 is used to record death metal screamed vocals in studios... but yeah 99% of the time you'll be using a large diaphragm condenser of some sort.
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
I got another idea.... But I don't know if it works. Is it possible to run a bass through my Zoom effects unit without blowing it up or something? Because if that's possible I could only buy a vocal mic and run the guitars through that unit.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant