So I've been playing about a year and a bit now, I'm 22, and i just feel like.... I'm a bit late into this guitar thing? I've made good progress imo (you can see in my videos) But I'm really wanting to join a band and do gigs and stuff or something like, not serious but just every few weeks or whatever

Do you think it's to late for this?

It just seems that everyone else started when they were 15-16 or so, I just feel like that's my biggest regret not actually picking up the guitar earlier etc
If you wanna play just for fun it's never to late to start a band!
A lot of smaller bands just play local gigs and they're music isn't to serious, the lyrics are most fun!
Nonense! Don't let your age deter you. Just practice, practice, practice till you're confident enough to start up a band. It's as simple as that. I see people in the ages of 40+ starting up bands and they only learned guitar for a year at the most.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Don't let age deter you. I started playing in my early 40s. You have plenty of time ahead of you to get good enough to join a band. Practice hard enough for 2 or 3 years and you'll be good enough to join a band.
Quote by BoL7z
So I've been playing about a year and a bit now, I'm 22, and i just feel like.... I'm a bit late into this guitar thing? I've made good progress imo (you can see in my videos) But I'm really wanting to join a band and do gigs and stuff or something like, not serious but just every few weeks or whatever

It just seems that everyone else started when they were 15-16 or so, I just feel like that's my biggest regret not actually picking up the guitar earlier etc

22 is young bro in the big game of life.... and it doesn't matter when you start anyway. Only matters is where you go from today.

there's some people younger than you who are further along? so what get used to it. There's always gonna be better players than you know matter what your age.
Believe me you have the potential to advance much faster than most people that started earlier. You just need a shitload of dedication, that does mean even learning the nitty gritty of music theory.

I started a year ago or so (self taught) spent at least an hour or 2 a day doing my daily excercises for alternate picking, chromatic stuff, scales, circle of fifths along with learning improv and other areas.consequently I can say I can out play my friends who have had lessons since they were 16 (i'm 19).
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by BoL7z

It is definitely not too late for this at all. It's up to you to practise and get better, and whether you start out at 15 or at 22 is irrelevant.

If you want to join a band and do gigs then all you need is likeminded people to jam and play songs with. You might not have the same skill as someone who is 22 now and started serious playing at 15, but give yourself 7 years and you'll be at that level. And 29 really isn't old at all -- Les Paul played live gigs well into his 90's!

Willem
Ah cool thanks guys, Past 6 months I've really been dedicated, pretty much wake up, play guitar for 3-4 hours, have a break for an hour play some xbox for 30mins or so and go back into playing for another 2-3 hours, then either go to work or just chill out for the rest of the day

so mostly trying to play a minimum of 3 hours everyday, no exceptions

What would you guys call dedicated? To me 3 hours every day doesn't seem like that much, I enjoy it but it just seems short
its not really much about how much time you spend tbh, but how you spend it.

I figured out after so long that learning songs doesn't advance you as much as excercises and all that jazz do
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I didn't start playing till I was 25-26, and I still do OK now that I'm a bit older than that. (63)
Quote by BoL7z
so mostly trying to play a minimum of 3 hours everyday, no exceptions

What would you guys call dedicated? To me 3 hours every day doesn't seem like that much, I enjoy it but it just seems short
The discipline and dedication has to be channelled into your practicing methods - not how much time it takes.

in other words, amount of time is pretty much useless if you're not practicing effectively.
its never too late to be a guitarist i meen come on 22 years? it aint that old ?? my dads 45 hes in a band! lol practice practice mate!!
I procrastinated for over 20 years about playing guitar thinking I was to old to learn. I have to thank Rock Band for pushing me to finally do it and a year ago at 41 I bought a guitar and started taking lessons. Now I don't even touch my Xbox unless I'm using Rock Band for backing tracks. I spend a lot of time on Music Theory with my teacher and actually find it very interesting which I don't think I would have at a young age. Although, I do wish I DID start playing guitar at a young age, lol. As for a band, I'll probably start looking into it more in the next year or so.
I've heard that for whatever reason children seem to pick up on it and learn it faster/easier than adults, but if you're dedicated I'm sure you can do it. I don't think its ever too late to learn guitar. Unless of course you're 70 with arthritis. Guitar is something you learn, and keep learning/improving throughout your lifetime. Start whenever the hell you want and enjoy the ride.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
at one point when i was teaching i had 2 students in there 50s.....if you got into guitar playing to be rich and famous....then yes you`ve probably left it to late, if you got into guitar playing `cos you love music, beer and chicks then you are good to go...i started at 13/14.....37 in a couple of months and i still get the same buzz out of learning,writing, recording (just getting back into it), jamming and gigging as i did the day i started, just keep at it and enjoy it.
Not at all. My uncles, mid-50s picked up instruments and started learning.
Rule #1 of guitar: It's NEVER too late.

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest started when he was 21.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by cringer
The discipline and dedication has to be channelled into your practicing methods - not how much time it takes.

in other words, amount of time is pretty much useless if you're not practicing effectively.

What sort of practice methods?