Im getting a peavey vypyr amp (not sure what size yet) and i've heard talks that say certain pups sound bad in modelling amps. I've get an epiphone G-400 sg with the humbuckers it comes with. Would they sound ok through a vypyr?
Always Rock!
Some people think that active pickups don't work with solid state amps like the Vypyr. I think more accurately it is that they work a lot better with valve amps and while that may be true of most pickups, the difference is more marked with actives
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
As far as I know, there is no specific type of pickup that always sounds bad through modelling amps. If it sounds bad, then it's not because it's a bad match of pickups.

I think epiphone's stock pickups sound OK. Not my favourite, but certainly usable. That, however, is just my opinion, and when it comes to tone, everything is subjective.

Basically, nothing bad will happen if you play a G400 through a vypyr.
You'll just hear a mayor influence (when related to tone) from the modeler rather than the guitar itself (woods, pickups, etc).
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Doadman
Some people think that active pickups don't work with solid state amps like the Vypyr. I think more accurately it is that they work a lot better with valve amps and while that may be true of most pickups, the difference is more marked with actives

+1
More often than not, you'll need to switch amps first and pups second.

If, though, you really feel a pup swap is what's needed, then you need to figure on the following

1) Will I be playing more leads or rhythms?

2) Active or passive

3) High or medium gain?

If you're going to be playing a lot leads, and want a more metal tone, you might want to look into some SDs or DiMarzios.

Active or passive? Personally, I think actives sound pretty crappy, but that's solely my personal opinion. Next time you're at a music store, try some guitars w/ actives and passives side by side. That should tell you pretty quick which one sounds better to you.

The upside of passives? Generally cheaper. More Variety of tonal options

The downside of actives? Are harder to replace w/ passives. Generally costlier. Have a tendency to sound flat, compressed and sterile.

If money isn't a concern, and you think passives are the pups for you, then I'd suggest looking into some Bare Knuckles Pickups then.

And as for actives through a modeling amp? I had a Schecter Hellraiser w/ EMG 707s and used it for many years w/ a L6 GuitarPort/POD Farm combo. I finally gave up on the L6 stuff after coming to the conclusion I was just never going to get the kind of tone I wanted out of it. I'm using free ampsims and cabinet impulses I found on the web, and tbh, they sound an awful lot better than the L6 stuff ever did.
Quote by s12k17
Im getting a peavey vypyr amp (not sure what size yet) and i've heard talks that say certain pups sound bad in modelling amps. I've get an epiphone G-400 sg with the humbuckers it comes with. Would they sound ok through a vypyr?

Yes, but Epiphone stock pickups are in general fairly sucky. Replacing them down the road might not be a bad idea.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Pickups tend to sound more the same through modeling amps, so you could probally put it off for a while. Shouldn't sound to bad though. If you plan on upgrading amps sometime, you could go ahead and swap pickups. Definitely wouldn't hurt.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)