So I think I had the eureka moment!

After a time longer than I can remember I wondered why learning a zillion scale patterns wasn't improving my playing as much as I would have hoped.
I think I've nailed down the problem to a few things but I wondered if I was on the right path:

Need to learn the note names of the frets?
Knowing scale patterns but not the notes within them and the frets these notes lie on?
Not knowing the intervals of the chord shapes I'm playing. No idea where the 3rd/7th is in my voicing's!?

IF I'm right my plan could/should be to:

Go through the cycle of fifths finding the notes on every string - repeat!

Say the note names out loud as I play scales so I know where the notes are in relation to fingers/frets

Memorize the chord tone each finger is playing in every chord shape I know?

I'm just looking for a bit of guidance and or reassurance of whether or not I'm on he right path. Any better ways of getting to my goals from people who have already been there would be useful.

Chris
I think you've nailed it. Scale patterns and exercises shouldn't be something you just do to get it over with. You should always constantly be thinking about where you are and what notes you're playing and your chord tones in relation to the tonic. Don't let your brain take a break!
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Knowing the note names across the fretboard is essential, really, no matter what you are doing. After you learn those, I'd recommend the theory lessons at musictheory.net. Knowing where the note names are will allow you to apply some of the very basic things in those lessons quite easily. In a day of reading those lessons, I bet you'll already be able to form your own Major chord voicing on guitar. That is, if you understand it all the first go around. Some people do, some people don't.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I guess that's one way. If I were looking at it from an efficiency standpoint purely thinking of how fast I could have these essentials down, I would compare your approach to this to cutting down a tree using a tea spoon....if you swing long enough at it, you'll get it.

But then there are saws, as well. And motorized ones, with special tipped chains that make the same work as fast as cutting through butter. You might want to log the actual time it takes you from the day you start this till the day you finally have it down. I'd be interested in knowing how long this actually takes.

Best,

Sean