Hey!

So my boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I really want to get him a keyboard for composing purposes. I know he's mentioned only needing a 61-key keyboard. He also said that he likes it when the keys are more "weighted," so I can't really buy one online without possibly getting one he won't like.

I'm not looking to spend more than $200, which I know cuts my choices down a bit, but like I said--it's just for composing purposes. Pleaseee give your recommendations!! He's the musically inclined one, not me lol
Quote by butterfly054
Hey!

So my boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I really want to get him a keyboard for composing purposes. I know he's mentioned only needing a 61-key keyboard. He also said that he likes it when the keys are more "weighted," so I can't really buy one online without possibly getting one he won't like.

I'm not looking to spend more than $200, which I know cuts my choices down a bit, but like I said--it's just for composing purposes. Pleaseee give your recommendations!! He's the musically inclined one, not me lol

So you made an account for this purpose?

Just wondering
I suppose. I trust the people more on here than I do on "wiki answers" or some similar site. I don't really see that as a problem though. I plan on using the site after this, this just happens to be the first thing I've used the account for.
I'd suggest something like this. A friend of mine got the same, well the keys are only "half-weighted" but it should do its job if his main purpose is to record stuff on his computer. If that's not the case you might not want to look into midi-keyboards...

But since you didn't give that much information... ^^

Edit: This kind of Midi-Keyboard doesn't have any sound of its own, it's only used for recording stuff...
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
Last edited by UltimaWeapon at Aug 30, 2010,
Well you're not gonna get one with weighted keys for under 200.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PSRE223-EntryLevel-Portable-Keyboard?sku=580590
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PSRE323-EntryLevel-Portable-Keyboard?sku=580591

I've got the first one. It's fine for composing and arranging and whatnot. The second one has touch sensitivity, but since it doesn't have weighted keys the touch sensitivity doesn't do much good IMHO. He might like that though.

For the record, you probably would get better responses on a keyboard forum, like the one on Harmony Central.
wow for some reason i was thinking of an object for typing on the computer
Hello Will You Be My Freind?
Quote by guitar-guy69
i knocked a girl up once but thank the lord it died inside her

Quote by guitar-guy69
Guitar-guy69 your the best

Quote by guitar-guy69
my penis floats when its in the water so it always looks hard

Hello my name is guy i like my women naked and aroused lol
I had exactly this question asked of me when my friend's birthday came up last. The advice I gave was not to get him the keyboard. An instrument is a very personal thing and for the price you're looking to spend, it's just not worth it.
Quote by piop
I had exactly this question asked of me when my friend's birthday came up last. The advice I gave was not to get him the keyboard. An instrument is a very personal thing and for the price you're looking to spend, it's just not worth it.

i agree. you should give him a giftcard for $200 to guitar center or something and explain that you wanted him to get the keyboard he wanted and then take him there
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic