My guitar amp just stopped working during rehearsal.The sound stopped and when i looked there was smoke coming out of my amp and it smelled like burning plastic .
The amp's dead now and i need a new one.

A friend of the bassist bought a new amp recently and offered me to sell his old one.
It's a Line 6 III 150 watt amp , what I want to know now is :

1. if this amp is good for rehearsal and practice and maybe some gigs in the future.
2. how much should i pay for it , it has been used quite often but is in good condition (a brand new line 6 spider IV 150 would cost €395 here).

I was thinking of actually getting a peavey valveking 212 tube combo that would cost around €500 if i buy it new. Would that be a better choice than the 2nd hand spider or should i look for something else entirely?

Edit: I play most genres except metal, I need both good cleans and nice distortion.
Last edited by Waffleguy at Aug 30, 2010,
Just about anything is better than a Spider. Upgrade the speakers in a VK and it's a fine amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It depends what you perfer, some people will say spiders are the worst piece of shit on earth, others like them. I happen to kinda like them but there mostly used for metal. Id say play both of them and decide which you like better
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
I bought my Spider III new for 300 U.S dollars (I'm not sure how much that is in your countries currency) but If he's charging you for more than half of that price it's not worth it.

But I guess for practice and rehearsal it would do good but if you plan on gigging then I would definitely go with the Valveking. So in my opinion I think you should definitely go with the Valveking. Believe me you do not want to get the Spider III, it has horrible tone (at least to me) and you'll get much better sounding tones on a tube amp than on a solid state.
Absofrickenlutely get the Valveking.

If buzzy digital tones are your thing, go for the spider, but I think you'd be better off getting the VK.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 (it IS a tube amp). If you want a Spider that would be the best kind.

EDIT: Depending on if you find one new or used also check out the 1x12...it's only one less speaker.
Last edited by gsd65 at Aug 30, 2010,
i do have that amp actually and it is difficult to get an even clean sound out of it i picked mine when i first started playing guitar and wanted something with a lot of built in distortions and effects so i could get used to that stuff years later i still have the amp i use it all the time at home or when i meet up and play with other musicians its great for that but when i perform i use my buddy's amp system the spider just doesnt have that performers clarity and if out of all the sounds your trying to get softer or cleaner distort then the spider is not the amp for you.
Last edited by zimzaderk at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by darkarbiter7
Absofrickenlutely get the Valveking.

If buzzy digital tones are your thing, go for the spider, but I think you'd be better off getting the VK.

This.

Also DA! I haven't seen you on in forever!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
haha. I've taken a very long hiatus. I got real busy with work and crap like that, and guitar/UG kind of took a back seat to everything. But, I guess I'll be back on for a while :P
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gsd65
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 (it IS a tube amp). If you want a Spider that would be the best kind.

EDIT: Depending on if you find one new or used also check out the 1x12...it's only one less speaker.

I agree that the Spider Valve is better but don't say it IS a tube amp, because it aint. It has a digital preamp and a tube power amp - that makes it a hybrid in the truest sense possible.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the 100w head and its very loud but if you're very careful with the volume knob then it'll be fine to use at home, seriously i have mine set to 0.5. Its better to get a used one to be honest, with the money you save you can buy new tubes or a overdrive pedal or something.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by Cathbard
I agree that the Spider Valve is better but don't say it IS a tube amp, because it aint. It has a digital preamp and a tube power amp - that makes it a hybrid in the truest sense possible.

Yeah. Hell, having a fully tube preamp and a SS power amp would accomplish the same thing.

SV's have some preamp tubes too, but I think it's 1 and then the PI.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The VK is not a great amp. But if you like its sound then its not a bad option. Frankly, at the stage you are at, I'd get a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100 for about €350 as it will get you the sounds you want, is portable enough to haul around without injury, is loud enough for any gig where you can't mic up, and it has a volume knob that you can turn down for home. But its not a valve amp.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x