Hey guys. I know this should go to GG&A but my computer refuses to load it so if someone could move it or tell me how I would appreciate it. Anyways, I have a Schecter Damien 6 with passive hzs. I love the guitar, but i cant seem to get the tone I want. I write stuff along the lines of August Burns Red, Killswitch Engage, BFMV, so yeah metalcore. Im thinking of upgrading to the 81X/60X combo. Would this give me a great boost in tone? Im playing through a Peavey Vypyr 75 (great amp, please dont give me crap) and prolly a Bugera 6262 when I start gigging. Thanks in advance
yes the actives will give you more of the tone ur looing for tho alott of those bands tone is from the amps and pedals
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
yeah, I know. Im looking into getting a 6262 with an EQ pedal. It just doesnt seem like the HZs can get me quite the tone im looking for

EDIT: Im wondering if the difference will be hugely noticable or if it will just be a little closer to what im looking for
with active pickups your going to get preamp saturation a lot easier, meaning all out distortion will come fairly easily
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
For what you want to sound like, normal EMG's would be better than the X's, unless you're specifically looking for a more liquid sound than those bands.

Also, don't even think about getting the new pickups before you get your Bugera. Get it, and see what your guitar sounds like through it first. You may not even need to upgrade - most of your tone is in the amp. If you're still dissatisfied, then upgrade.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 30, 2010,
Also, you will never ever sound close to any of those bands, even with EMG's, on that Vypyr. But you said you were looking at a 6262, so it's all good I guess. However, most of the metalcore bands you summed up used Dual Rectifiers, and if I'm not mistaken the 6262 was modelled after the Peavey 6505, which has a whole different tone.
Well I was looking at the X series cuz I write and record more than just metal so I want something a little more versitale than the normal EMGs. And also, im pretty sure most those bands use a 6505. Not sure about ABR though
I think you're both right - most metalcore bands use or have used Rectifiers and 6505's at some point.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah. Not arguing or anything but I know at least one guitarist from BFMV and Killswitch Engage use a 6505. I might go to a shop this weekend and try to find a 6262 to see the difference the actives would make
since you said you're also hoping to upgrade your amp it's probably a better idea to upgrade the amp before you change pickups - you may find that you're happy with the sound without a pickup upgrade once you've upgraded your amp.

the difference in sound won't be very noticable with a modeller - you'll be able to get more gain out of the amp but you might also get input stage clipping which would make the gain sloppy, and the way to avoid this is to turn the volume down to the point where you're not getting any more output than you would from the stock pickups anyway... but obviously i don't know for sure if the vypyr has clipping problems with actives or not. so you might be ok...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I would leave the HZ's...they really aren't as bad as people seem to think.

Here is what you do. Leave the PU's in. Get a gain boost and install it in your guitar. Now you have just as much, if not more power than the active version. The actives are basically passive PU's with the pre-amp built into them. What I am suggesting is just having the pre-amp out side of the PU, and you will be able to control hom much the pre-amp is actually pushing(can't do that with the actives)

You can also turn off the pre-amp if you are wanting to do some clean stuff, or leave it on with your clean channel and really push those tubes into bliss for that cranked tube amp sound.

You have A LOT more option having an external pre-amp instead of it being built into the PU itself. Plus you can then use the money you were gonna spend on the PU's and use it towards your amp.

I have an EMG HZ passive and it is great. I actually got rid of my EMG 81 to swap in the HZ. They are that much better...IMO anyways.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

Here is what you do. Leave the PU's in. Get a gain boost and install it in your guitar. Now you have just as much, if not more power than the active version. The actives are basically passive PU's with the pre-amp built into them.
Not quite. Technically, yes, active pickups are made just like passive pickups but have a preamp shoved in. However, that does not mean that EMG HZ pickups plus a boost switch equals active EMG pickups. Actual active pickups are made with very, very weak magnets and very under-wound coils, which is how they get such wide frequency response (And why they need the preamp in the first place, since their initial signal is so weak). If you made a passive pickup using the same magnet and coils as an active pickup, but left out the preamp, you'd get virtually no sound at all. Even if you then added in a boost later in the chain, it still wouldn't sound the same.
So you're right in the theory that active pickups are built like a pasisve pickupa nd then boosted, but the reality of how they work and how they sound is very different to the basic theory of their construction. Saying that any given passive pickup with a boost switch is going to give you the same effect as switching to active pickups is like saying that a DiMarzio Super Distortion will sound just like a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro sif you just roll the volume control down.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If your going to spend the money on EMG's, spend just a little bit more and go with Barenuckle pickups, prolly the Warpig for what you want, eats EMG's alive.

Or, another alternative is Rock Monkey pickups, pretty good from what I hear.

They are more expensive, but the great thing about hand made pickups is that they hardly depreciate in value and you'll prolly never sell them anyway cause you'll love them so much.
Quote by MrFlibble
Not quite. Technically, yes, active pickups are made just like passive pickups but have a preamp shoved in. However, that does not mean that EMG HZ pickups plus a boost switch equals active EMG pickups. Actual active pickups are made with very, very weak magnets and very under-wound coils, which is how they get such wide frequency response (And why they need the preamp in the first place, since their initial signal is so weak). If you made a passive pickup using the same magnet and coils as an active pickup, but left out the preamp, you'd get virtually no sound at all. Even if you then added in a boost later in the chain, it still wouldn't sound the same.
So you're right in the theory that active pickups are built like a pasisve pickupa nd then boosted, but the reality of how they work and how they sound is very different to the basic theory of their construction. Saying that any given passive pickup with a boost switch is going to give you the same effect as switching to active pickups is like saying that a DiMarzio Super Distortion will sound just like a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro sif you just roll the volume control down.

Oh MrFibble and his endless knowledge.

Honestly, I get more balls out of my passive with gain boost then I could with just the active PU.

With the active EMG 81 the preamp only pumps out so much db(+12 db if I remember right), where as with the external gain boost you can adjust how much output you want. I usually have mine at +4 db, but am pretty sure I can max it out at +20db. You can really push your amp more with a passive with gain boost. Yet still keep it sounding and reacting like a passive should.

I found the actives to sound a little to compressed with little dynamics, but I guess that is good for some styles of music. The EMG 81X I have read sounds a lot more natural so maybe look into that.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ