Well, if you don't know, Pitchfork put together a list of the top 200 tracks of the 90s. 200-151 were just reveled today, with the rest coming out the rest of this week.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7854-the-top-200-tracks-of-the-1990s-200-151/

Thoughts/Predictions?
"Gin and Juice" better top that list.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
*See's "Holes" by Mercury Rev is on the list.*

*Wonders why it's not Opus 40"

*"That'll probably be on the list later"*
They only have one track from each artist and they've already got a Nirvana song on there so it can't be smells like teen spirit, aaaaaaaaand its Pitchfork did you really think they were going to have that song on there?

Like most of their best of lists I'm going to wager on a Radiohead song winning.
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For
Last edited by volcom_sk8_rock at Sep 1, 2010,
my prediction for the top 10/20:

horribly jarring selections of indie rock, hip hop and the occasional pop song

though #1 will probably be Cut Your Hair
Mogwai Fear Satan better be in the top 20.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
some possibilities for high scorers

motor away
rattled by the rush
when you sleep
oh comely
svefn-g-englar
car
waltz #2
C.R.E.A.M.
give it away
ashes of american flags
autumn sweater
mogwai fear satan
round here
trailer trash
hey
someday i will treat you good
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Pitchfork is the worst.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
Pitchfork is the worst.

This, but at least they do cover a lot of music that's not found through other sources. They're not great, but the site can be useful, from time to time.

If something off of "Loveless" isn't in the Top 10, at the very least Top 20, I'll shit a brick, and more than likely die from the massive anal fissure.

Quote by eazy-c
Mogwai Fear Satan better be in the top 20.

It's #160.

*waits for exploding rage*
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Sep 1, 2010,
hm i really expected car to be close to #1
trailer trash was disappointingly low too (although i am pretty happy they picked it to represent mm)
and elliott near the top 10
and are there 2 flaming lips songs on the list? do you realize and race for the prize?
im cool with game of pricks but still think it deserves to be above some of the others that squeezed between it and the top 20

really pullin for someday i will treat you good to top the list :p (or cow or but i cant picture pitchfork doing that. maybe sunshine?). i feel like its possible.

ah well all in good fun
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
prediction for top 10 as i actually find myself caring about this more than i probably should

Weezer - Buddy Holly, Beck - Loser, Da Funk, Radiohead - No Surprises (or maybe even Creep), Pulp - Common People, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Britney Spears - Hit me Baby One More Time, Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang or maybe something else from the Chronic, something from Loveless ... maybe something by Belle & Sebastian
Quote by fallenangel20
It's #160.

*waits for exploding rage*

Sad forever.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
my prediction for the top 10/20:

horribly jarring selections of indie rock, hip hop and the occasional pop song

though #1 will probably be Cut Your Hair

p4k jizzes their pants over pavement, so probably.
There's something living in these lines.
Gold soundz is a deserving number one. But smells like teen spirit beating elliott smith, built to spill, flaming lips and tons of others is crap beyond words.
the reason i feel like this list is particularly bad, even for pitchfork, is that it seems like they placed a lot of the artists before they had decided on a song by them. which in a list of "top tracks from the 90s" is a bad thing, obviously. Gold Soundz? Holland 1945? those are good songs but come on

edit: but surprised and happy to see Common People so high. i didn't know that song was as big a deal across the water.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Sep 3, 2010,
Wow, I think I predicted like ten of their top 20, they are pretty damn predictable. And goddamn Pavement and Slanted and Enchanted are both extremely overrated.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by jiminizzle

pitchfork isn't down with the horse yet. give it 10 years (if they're still around) and they'll be praising linkous as some tragic, unsung messiah of 90s indie rock.

Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Holland 1945?

i'm not surprised by that pick. i think holland 1945 has the most appeal to casual and diehard nmh fans alike. i think some less expected track selections were good though, i was really glad they chose paranoid android as the radiohead track.

the list was alright, i couldn't help but read the top 26 tracks and think to myself, "this isn't better than needle in the hay." over and over again though.
It's not bad at all (only checked the top 20 so far) but I definitely feel like for some of the artists they chose the wrong songs. I'd have chosen Building Steam for DJ Shadow and something that wasn't Only Shallow for MBV. Though they did good with the Weezer number, as they did with Pavement.

These lists never get the order right, so as long as they have 200 good songs I'm happy.
yeah i mean you cant get it perfect for everyone. its just something you do for funn. if i wouldve done it off the top of my head (feel like i'm forgetting something) it woulda been more like

25. Sublime-Santeria
24. Gin Blossoms-Hey Jealousy
23. Wu-Tang-C.R.E.A.M.
22. The Flaming Lips-Race For The Prize
21. A Tribe Called Quest-Jazz (We've Got)
20. Radiohead-No Surprises
19. Superchunk-Like A Fool
18. Jurassic 5-Concrete Schoolyard
17. Tupac-All About U
16. Alison's Halo-Slowbleed
15. Counting Crows-Recovering The Satellites
14. Pavement-Fame Throwa
13. Yo La Tengo-The Lie And How We Told It
12. Jeff Buckley-Last Goodbye
11. Guided By Voices-Hardcore UFOs
10. Silver Jews-The Wild Kindness
9. Mogwai-Kids Will Be Skeletons/maybe Mogwai Fear Satan
8. Dinosaur Jr.-What Else Is New
7. Sigur Ros-Vidrar Vel Til Loftarassa
6. Neutral Milk Hotel-Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2
5. Elliot Smith-Bled White
4. Sparklehorse-Cow/Spirit Ditch/Sunshine/Someday I Will Treat You Good
3. Built To Spill-Kicked It In The Sun
2. Modest Mouse-Edit The Sad Parts/maybe Trailer Trash
1. My Bloody Valentine-When You Sleep

and even that is missing stuff, full of 'cliches', lacking variation and slightly drunken etc. even from my point of view but it was fun to make but would take a long time and probably some rearranging to get comfortable standing firmly behind it. Cheers and Goodnight!
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Last edited by jiminizzle at Sep 4, 2010,
Quote by jiminizzle
yeah i mean you cant get it perfect for everyone. its just something you do for funn. if i wouldve done it off the top of my head (feel like i'm forgetting something) it woulda been more like

25. Sublime-Santeria
23. Wu-Tang-C.R.E.A.M.
17. Tupac-All About U
14. Pavement-Fame Throwa

and even that is missing stuff, full of 'cliches', lacking variation and slightly drunken etc. even from my point of view but it was fun to make but would take a long time and probably some rearranging to get comfortable standing firmly behind it. Cheers and Goodnight!

Strong list man. Hardcore ufo's is definitely a better gbv song than the one p4k put on the list. likewise for the tribe song and the nhm song. Plus i'm glad your not passing it of as super unique and original. All the guys who bash on pitchfork when they listen to the same music pitchfork touts ad nauseum are lame IMO.
haha well my personal choice would be gold star for robot boy but both of the aforementioned songs kick righteous ass.
Quote by jiminizzle

25. Sublime-Santeria
23. Wu-Tang-C.R.E.A.M.
17. Tupac-All About U
14. Pavement-Fame Throwa

I totally agree with that list, but I think I'd put some hip-hop in the top 10. I'd replace the Sparklehorse song with It Ain't Hard to Tell by Nas.
Last edited by rocketfalls at Sep 4, 2010,
P-forks, love me some Pavement and that has long been my favourite.
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For
Yeah definitely. On slanted alone there is better songs than summer babe.Here, zurich is stained, perfume v,trigger cut. Ahh pavement....