Alright, so I've had an Epiphone G-400 for the past two years or so. I like it because it's easy to play, but moreover, I hate it because it's so high maintenance. I'm constantly re-setting it up, it doesn't want to stay in tune because of the flimsy neck, and now most recently, I've tried adjusting the pole pieces and I think I lost too much wax from the inside, so now I get a little bit of a ringing from the springs inside. I paid around $470 dollars for the guitar with the case, and I've probably thrown another $150 dollars into it just to get it to play nice (not to mention the case's lock sucks). So I looked around I thought I like the Ltd EC-401 or EC-401 FM. They seemed pretty legit. I play a lot of metal, though I'm not that great of a guitarist, since I've been self-taught up to this point. So, I've got a couple questions:
1.) Is the Ltd EC-401 worth the money (stays in tune, plays nice, sounds great, low maintenance, etc.)
2.) Is it better than the Epiphone G-400, and if so, how much better?
3.) If the answer to number one is yes, than should I trade in the G-400 to help pay for it, or should I keep it in case I need it?

Keep in mind, the G-400 still works, it just takes a lot of work to get it right. If anyone has any other suggestions on guitars, feel free. Actually, I implore you. I'm looking to spend anywhere between $500 and $750. I'll probably end up going down to Dave's Guitar Shop to just try out a bunch anyway.

Thanks (in advance) for the help!
Last edited by okokel at Aug 30, 2010,
im a big gibson fan, however i do not like epiphones really, so if it were me i would pick the EC 401. in my opinion ltds beat epihones as far as playability and reliability. the esp ltd eclipse series are much thinner and lighter, which depending on preference can be good or bad. but if it were between the g400 and the ec 401 i would go with the ec 401
1) I'd say so. Haven't owned one, but they feel nice, and I've heard good things from LTD.
2) Probably, but it's not a direct comparison. But you get what you pay for.
3) It never hurts to have a backup guitar, but if you do sell it you can branch into much better guitars. If you're definitely looking for something with a Floyd Rose, keep it as a backup; otherwise, I'd sell it and get a kickass guitar.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
1.Yes
2.Yes
3. It never hurts to have a backup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Okay, now my about ready to smash my SG to piece. I'M SO FRUSTRATED WITH IT! How can I pay $400, which is a fortune for me, on such a piece of crap!!! I forgot to mention that my dad's also got his old Squier Strat that works pretty good, so I could just use that as my backup guitar. I am so ready to get rid of that stupid SG.
then trade it in!

TBH, I never liked the SG neck joint. There's not enough wood there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ok, so I got it somewhat back to where it's bearable to play. I just gotta figure out what's causing the ringing. I'm think it might be this harmonic ringing that I'm hearing about, cuz it only happens if I lay my strumming hand down on the strings in a quick motion to kill the sound, and I bet I could pay to get it fixed for really cheap. Could be the setup wasn't right for me the first time, and it could be that I just switched to 10-52's. I think I might switch those into 11-52's. I've got those on the Strat and I like em. I guess I'll tackle the trade-in/don't-trade-in question more when I get closer to have the amount to buy it, cuz I'm totally broke as of now. Thanks for the advice though, guys! Much appreciated. I have to find time to actually go play and EC-401 and see how it feels, but from what you guys are telling me, I'll probably be pretty happy with it. Thanks again.
If you're truly unhappy with the Epiphone then get rid of it. The EC-401's seem like nice guitars I have a 1000 series and I've played the 400 series before (a year older version of the 401) and they played very much like my 1000. I say pull the trigger on the EC for sure :-)

If you're big on the SG style you could look at the LTD Viper 401 as well.
The EC-401 will be leaps and bounds better than the Epi.

Just curious, are you in Australia? I can't imagine G-400's being so expensive. $470 is a severe ripoff.

Mine was $300 CDN + a hardcase was like $350.

EDIT: If you don't mind you should also look into buying used you can save like 40% of the retail price and still get a 100% perfectly fine guitar.
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 31, 2010,
I'm in the US. Our dollar isn't that great right now, and I bought it new at the time. We've only got like two places in the area to get guitars (though one of them is the world famous Dave's Guitar Shop) They don't have much for used, but I could ask and see. But, the good news is that I got rid of the hybrid strings and I've but 10-46 ernie balls on it. I'll also bought ghs of the same gauge just for a comparison. the only other question I have is what is the fretboard radius of the G-400? I can't find it anywhere. I'm thinking it's a 12", but I'm not positive. I saw somewhere that it could be 14". Any thoughts?