Looking for some help on a tough desicion. I am going to buy an Interface in a few days. I have it narrowed down to three.

Looking for facts, and opinions on which would suit better.

Looking for Best sound, and Easiest Navigation for low budget.

M Audio 2626 $600-$700

Zoom R16 $300-$400

Tascam 1641 $275-$400

Just from a noobs perspective. The M Audio looks like the best selling. I may be leaning toward the Tascam because I found one for under $200.

I do question the fact that M Audio is better selling and more expensive. Is there a reason for that? Is it significantly better than the others?
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
if you are new to recording and just want something to demo with, why not run with the Presonus Firestudio Project?

It fits your budget as well as giving decent recording quality for someone new.

16 total inputs. 8 on the front. Each has own volume mix. Provides phantom power. As well as headphone input with output volume control.
XLR as well as instrument jacks can be used.
me:
Fender 72 custom deluxe tele (black)
Fender 72 Thinline Tele (natural)
Gibson Les Paul Studio (cherry sunburst)
Gibson Les Paul Classic (black)
Blueridge acoustic (amazing!)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 half
Vox AC-100 CPH half
Quote by Leaderofmen
if you are new to recording and just want something to demo with, why not run with the Presonus Firestudio Project?

It fits your budget as well as giving decent recording quality for someone new.

16 total inputs. 8 on the front. Each has own volume mix. Provides phantom power. As well as headphone input with output volume control.
XLR as well as instrument jacks can be used.

Looks nice, Are those preamps better than the others I listed?

One main reason why I picked the 3 that I did is because I can put it on my best buy card lol...

You think the PreSonus destroys the Tascam?

I can get the Tascam used right now for $180
Last edited by maddnotez at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by maddnotez
Looking for some help on a tough desicion. I am going to buy an Interface in a few days. I have it narrowed down to three.

Looking for facts, and opinions on which would suit better.

Looking for Best sound, and Easiest Navigation for low budget.

M Audio 2626 $600-$700

Zoom R16 $300-$400

Tascam 1641 $275-$400

Just from a noobs perspective. The M Audio looks like the best selling. I may be leaning toward the Tascam because I found one for under $200.

I do question the fact that M Audio is better selling and more expensive. Is there a reason for that? Is it significantly better than the others?

The M-Audio Profire2626 destroys all the ones you posted there. Sure more expensive than the others but worth the money. In the world of audio you REALLY get what you pay for in 99.9999999% of the time.

2626 has the best preamps, conversion and overall stability out of those you narrowed it down to. It's a great interface. If you have more questions don't hesitate.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Aug 31, 2010,
Ok thanks, Now what about 2626 vs Presonus firestudio?
Quote by maddnotez
Ok thanks, Now what about 2626 vs Presonus firestudio?

These present pretty much the same features with a few details of difference so here's how they're the same followed by how they're different.

Similarities:
-8 preamps + 2 Hi-Z Instrument inputs
-16 ADAT inputs and ouputs
-Word clock In/Out + SPDIF + MIDI i/o
-8 analog TRS outputs
-Firewire connection
-DSP Matrix + Router

Differences:
-Quality of preamps: In my personal OPINION, 2626 pres are better.
-Firestudio has inserts on the first 2 channels (could be useful but not a major point).
-I don't know this for the Firestudio but the on the 2626 you can bypass the analog pres: this means you can connect any 8 separate preamps to 2626 and bypass the gain completely so it acts only as a converter for those 8 sources. In my case it's very useful as it enables me to use 2x API 3124 preamps for a total of 8 extremely good preamps directly. NEAT!
-Firestudio is compatible with all major DAWs (programs) EXCEPT Pro Tools. The 2626 is compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered.
-Firestudio is a bit less expensive I think???

Keep in mind that I'm kinda biased since I don't know that much about the Firestudio and I myself use the Profire2626. It pretty much boils down to whatever your preference is and you'll be more comfortable with.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Sep 1, 2010,
Focusrite saffire pro 40?

Best Hardware metering, and preamps IMHO
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Presonus interfaces are always applauded for the quality of their pre's. Just google them and you will see that they are always considered some of the best around.

I have owned both a firestudio project as well as the 2626 and prefer the Firestudio.
me:
Fender 72 custom deluxe tele (black)
Fender 72 Thinline Tele (natural)
Gibson Les Paul Studio (cherry sunburst)
Gibson Les Paul Classic (black)
Blueridge acoustic (amazing!)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 half
Vox AC-100 CPH half
It all comes down to a matter of preference. Personally I like Pro Tools so I chose the 2626, however I also like the XMAX preamps that are in the firestudio, so I got a D8 running ADAT into the 2626 for the best of both worlds (and so I can have 16 pretty nice pres)
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
If you can do over 500 go with Focusrite. MUCH better quality unit and pres
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I have the firestudio 2424 and the pres on it are pretty good, although I've had some setup issues (I just built a new computer and have yet to test it out there) I've heard the m-audio though is the best in the price range, but I have no experience with it. I suppose go with the m-audio if you have the cash, but the presonus certainly won't be a bad decision.
The 2626 will give you professional quality preamps. Hands down I would take that over the others.

But what do i know
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.