Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
warmth

Replacing the FR in my ESP LTD - slightly odd bridge...

Morning all,
I've owned an ESP LTD F-2E (check reviews here) for a good few years now and am generally very happy with it, however the Licensed ESP Floyd Rose bridge is an issue - it isn't of great quality and I find it goes out of tune, so I really want to replace it.

I've been looking at options from Schaller and Gotoh which I think hit the balance between quality and price I'm after, but upon measuring the mounting studs on my current bridge I've found that they're only 73mm apart as opposed to the seemingly common 74mm of the Floyd Roses I've been researching.

I've read somewhere (I think!) that Ibanez Edge bridges have mounting posts that are 73mm apart so I've started considering them instead, but also hearing some conflicting information, and can't seem to find any proper measurements for decent Edge/Pro bridges.

So, my questions are:
a) Has anyone done this before? Preferably on a similar guitar/similar size bridges but all help extremely welcome!
b) Does anyone have any proper sizing info for Ibanez Edge trems so I can work out whether they'll fit?
c) Does anyone have a different option for a decent bridge with 73mm apart studs?

Thanks in advance everyone!
warmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
tsc86

Found this pic through Google. The guy replaced the stock licensed Floyd with Schaller Lockmeister. From a pretty crapy translation (original post is in French) I gathered that it was a direct swap.

tsc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.

what EXACTLY are you measuring? end to end? center of post to center of post? if its your measuring and not specs, maybe i would measure it again.

i wish i could be of more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
warmth

Quote:
what EXACTLY are you measuring? end to end? center of post to center of post? if its your measuring and not specs, maybe i would measure it again.

i wish i could be of more help.

Sorry, yep - that's centre of post to centre of post. I've measured it a few times so I'm pretty sure it's 73mm, which is why I'm a bit lost. No specs that I can find for the current ESP licensed FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc86
Found this pic through Google. The guy replaced the stock licensed Floyd with Schaller Lockmeister. From a pretty crapy translation (original post is in French) I gathered that it was a direct swap.

My googling skills must be terrible as I didn't find that pic! Thanks!
Weird - the lockmeisters are 74.3mm from centre of post to centre of post, at least according to their own specs here.
Found the French page you're looking at but can't see anything about how the bridge was swapped??
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.

I would contact ESP. for both the spec on your existing tremolo, and see what they recommend doing.

if you are looking for an edge trem (no idea if it would fit) check out ibanezrules (dot com).

Quote:
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

A significant number of FR style trems are 2 7/8 c-c (73.025mm) (Some Gotoh, most (all?) Ibanez, etc.

This will work.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Black-F...stem_p_110.html

So will this.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-BLA...TEEL_p_510.html
Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
ad_works

what are you using to measure with?
ad_works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:02 AM   #8
warmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
A significant number of FR style trems are 2 7/8 c-c (73.025mm) (Some Gotoh, most (all?) Ibanez, etc.

This will work.

So will this.

Ok great, thank you - these seem ok but aren't from a brand I recognise. Any experience with them??
However - one of those bridges (the one that has the measurement shown) has a c-c measurement of 74.5mm - how can that fit on my 73mm post holes??
I feel a bit stupid here, I must be missing something...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_works
what are you using to measure with?

Standard metal ruler, flat end that starts at 0mm. Technically I could get more precise but I'm pretty certain of my measurements at this point

Quote:
I would contact ESP. for both the spec on your existing tremolo, and see what they recommend doing.

if you are looking for an edge trem (no idea if it would fit) check out ibanezrules (dot com).

Good idea, I'll look ESP up.
I've found Ibanezrules a few times but had trouble finding proper bridge measurements, even within the manuals! I'll persist...

Rate This Thread: