Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Mr. Cachi

Position of your guitar when playing standing up

Hey guys, Iīm new to the forum, but I wanted to hear opinions from other players, since I havenīt been able to find the data Iīm looking for. I started playing with an Epiphone Les Paul, and the way I hold the pick and with my right hand technique overall, I find it kind of uncomfortable. Years later, I got an Explorer type guitar, and I noticed that, when playing standing up, the guitar would hang a bit to the left of my body, when compared to a Les Paul. This felt way, way more comfortable for my picking hand! Thatīs why I ditched the Les Paul, and now Iīm looking for a new guitar. The thing is, I still havenīt felt any other guitar that shifts to the left like the Explorer. I feel the Superstrats guitars overall (tried a couple of Schecters), sit more to the right, as the SGs. Now, my question is, do you know guitar, or at least body types, that let your picking hand rest a bit to the left of your body?
Mr. Cachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #2
dthmtl3

If I understand this right, perhaps a guitar with less wood on the upper side so it doesn't get in the way of your arm/forearm, like a V shape or an X shape.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

You can sort of get that effect by shortening your strap a little and pushing the guitar more to the left. Look how the Beatles used to hold their guitar back in the day. Obviously that isn't a perfect solution, but it may be enough to get you where you want to go. You might also look into holding the guitar in the classical position while sitting down.

Rate This Thread: