Page 1 of 3
Hi all,

The current broadband package I have now (Plusnet) allows me up to 60GB downloads a month, and that's the most they do.
I quite easily go over 60GB and often do, costing money/speed.

I'm looking for a package from somebody else that provides unlimited broadband. However almost everywhere I look 'unlimited' isn't necessarily true, some 'unlimited' packages offer 20GB downloads which is insane.

So if you know of a company that does actual unlimited broadband I'd love to know!
Last edited by vitchb at Aug 30, 2010,
A lot of them have Fair Use policies, which basically sets a limit on what you can download, which is pretty stupid. I don't know any that are truly unlimited.
'Unlimited' packages don't exist in the UK, it's all a con. They all have restrictions and the closest you will get is with Virgin and they just throttle your connection all the time.
UK broadband is awful it seems... nowhere is actually that fast at all, and I can't seem to find any package that beats 60GB. The ridiculous thing is my package used to be 80GB and they've gone and made it worse
Quote by boreamor
I have unlimited...

Is it actually unlimited? If so who's it from?
Well, I don't think there truly is 100% unlimited broadband. I mean, the thing is that with Broadband, it runs through phone lines (or something similar I think). My point is that broadband, like every other internet connection can only handle so much. So, there's really no Unlimited in "Unlimited Broadband". As other people have said, the company suppling it usually limits certain things like downloads.
Get your own router.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
I'm pretty sure I have unlimited but then we pay for Virgin 50meg, and get it.
Quote by Dirge Humani

Just because I'm a jerk

your upload speed is faster than my downloading
virgin 50 meg connection. Although it cuts me off once a session when im on xbox live. its probably because i host every game and draw way more than im allocated in terms of bandwith
What's irritating is they all talk about their 'fair usage policy', but don't state the limit. Doesn't sound fair to me

Time Warner Cable RoadRunner not turbo. I'm luck because with my area we have 4g and 3g wireless available and super fast broadband. DSL runs through the phone lines and has a max speed the broadband easily over takes. Only problem with the cable broadband is shared bandwidth for the same area. It is truely unlimited btw.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
i concur with the BE Broadband, although im on BT which is shit, BE unlimited is always voted the fastest and best broadband in the UK. Im pretty sure it has massive download limits too.
I have Sky broadband and it's fecking awful. 40G download limit and awful speeds at peak time (4-11pm)
At least it's not as bad as when I had BT and it gave me a 10G download limit, which I exceeded every single month
Quote by vitchb
What's irritating is they all talk about their 'fair usage policy', but don't state the limit. Doesn't sound fair to me

In the case of BE I think it's fairly loose. As I say the estimates I've seen based on customers range from 400GB or upwards. One guy I've read says he's been using around 600GB for a few months with no problems. No idea how he's managing to use that much though..

BT say 40GB for their 2nd best broadband so I'm guessing around 100GB for their "unlimited" package.

Quote by Duffman123
I have Sky broadband and it's fecking awful. 40G download limit and awful speeds at peak time (4-11pm)
At least it's not as bad as when I had BT and it gave me a 10G download limit, which I exceeded every single month

I remember these dark days as well. I used to be on the 10G package as well, the broadband connection speed at the best of times was 0.8MB. Zero point eight! I switched to 02 (around 60GB limit I reckon) and it's been 12MB connection all the way
Quote by Don_Humpador
I switched to 02 (around 60GB limit I reckon) and it's been 12MB connection all the way

What's it like at peak times?

Not too bad considering it's peak time
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Duffman123
What's it like at peak times?

You mean like right now? 02's connection comes through BE so..

Not too bad.
Quote by Adam124

Not too bad considering it's peak time

Not as good as mine

this is how i roll!

Edit: the worst thing is im a 150 miles closer to a server than duffman is
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Last edited by ryand111 at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by ryand111

this is how i roll!

EDIT: second test - 0.72 and 0.43 respectively.
Last edited by b2spirita at Aug 30, 2010,
^

115ms id hate to play call of duty on that
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
I know how you guys feel. I went from 0.5MB to 20MB broadband!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
My speed is fine, well... it's enough. I just stream a lot so need a package that will not burn my ass when I've watched too much House.
Quote by ryand111

I noticed that too. Same thing for me when I was with BT.

Change your ISP, you won't regret it
TS, you spelt "Truly" wrong.

Also, I'm on BT's package with 10GB limit
My speed hits 3.0Mb/s

Any advice to what I should switch to?
Quote by ryand111

Bitches don't know about my 1.85mb/s download speed
I have BT unlimited and they sent us a letter threatening to throttle us when we went over 100GB in a month if we did it again the next month or something, but they were only gonna cut it to 2mb/s during working hours (9am-5pm) which is a)not much less than we get normally and b)the time we use it least.

edit:

but my brother's online too at the moment.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Aug 30, 2010,
Quote by JackalUK
'Unlimited' packages don't exist in the UK, it's all a con. They all have restrictions and the closest you will get is with Virgin and they just throttle your connection all the time.

Never had a problem with my connection with Virgin media. I rarely get below 1mb/s downloading. Especially off torrents.

PSN ID: ArranP

It was even worse with BT plus they're awful to deal with. Looking forward to getting back to my awesome uni internet!
I just switched from Cricket, it's a damn joke. Like 128 Kbps until you went over 5GB and then they throttle the shit out of your connection, while at the same time claiming they don't throttle connection speeds.
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Page 1 of 3