Hey!

So I thought that of course frets wear down after a lot of playing and you might want to have them "conditioned" if thats the right word. You know, take it to a tech or do it yourself. BUT. Yeah, that makes them good again, but they will wear down completely at some point.

Lets say. I play on a good guitar (1000e or so, so it has good frets) about 1 hour per day.

1). How long (months/years) will I have to play til Ill have to have them done, like taken to a tech or so?

2). How long (how many years) will I have to play untill the guitar is unplayable, or majorly effected (playability) by the wear of the frets, and will be thrown away or have frets done (replaced, which costs a LOT and self-done is a PITA)?

Please answer both questions by the best you can.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Quote by fc89konkari
Hey!

So I thought that of course frets wear down after a lot of playing and you might want to have them "conditioned" if thats the right word. You know, take it to a tech or do it yourself. BUT. Yeah, that makes them good again, but they will wear down completely at some point.

Lets say. I play on a good guitar (1000e or so, so it has good frets) about 1 hour per day.

1). How long (months/years) will I have to play til Ill have to have them done, like taken to a tech or so?

2). How long (how many years) will I have to play untill the guitar is unplayable, or majorly effected (playability) by the wear of the frets, and will be thrown away or have frets done (replaced, which costs a LOT and self-done is a PITA)?

Please answer both questions by the best you can.

Thanks!
Jonathan

If you're talking about the 2620 you were gonna buy,then dont worry,frets on MIj Ibbys last quite long..
but something, how often should I have the frets done? (not replaced).

Well dude, this one is a 2004 so I thought a fret job might be in place if they havent been done in a while...
Impossible to answer questions as there are way too many variables. Frets need tending to when they start to cause a problem. If yours are playing fine then you don't need to do anything.
there`s no finite answer there`s other variable to consider such as how aggresively you bend and use vibrato and the gauge of your strings but at 1 hour a day certainly over 7-10 years for a refret and fret dressing is done when the frets start poducing dull notes and buzz that can`t be remedied by the usual setup tweaks, but it`s still along way off.......i wouldn`t even be concerned at this point....and if you were buying a guitar that needed such work doing to it then more fool you.