I need a recording setup that can record my band.

We would need, input wise:

XLR/jack lead vocals
XLR possible backing vocals
XLR bass amp out
2xXLR Mic'd guitar Amps
I think the drummer uses 2-4 XLR mic's for the various pieces.

I have access to a Boss BR-1600-CD (or maybe a slightly downsized version if they exist) at my school.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=11091

Also have access to a Behringer Europower PMP-1000 mixer.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72094

For "studio" recording obviously each person will record separately. (what order would you recommend?)

I'm looking at M-Audio fast Track USB V2 (it comes with Diet/Light/Low fat Pro tools 8)
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=83742

It would be fine for each guitar and vocals but the drummer needs more than 1 input.

The question is can everyone go into the PA mixer and then into the M-audio interface into the PC? Or is an interface with more inputs required?

Quick question, my band mate has a 4x12 cab, Where do you mic?

If the Mixer is viable what would you recommend (i only have limited "access" to the aforementioned behringer)

Studio Monitors?

I don't have a set budget, but i don't want to spend too much £.

summary
Mixer suggestions?
Interface suggestions (i like the m-audio as it comes with software and saves a lot of money)
Monitor suggestions?

Do i even need all of the above.

Sorry for the incoherence but any recording advice would be great.
why do you want to record the whole band at the same time? im confused
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Alright that was a book, so I'll answer what I know and what I would do in your situation:

If everyone is going separately, all you would really need is the M-Audio interface to do each instrument one at a time. The exception for this is the drums (obviously), which you'll need the mixer for. Unless that Behringer PMP is a USB mixer and you have Pro Tools, you'll have basically one drum track. All the mics will be heard, but you'll have to mix the levels/EQs from the mixer, rather than in the tracks. You'll have all the drums on one track, rather than a separate kick, a separate snare, etc. Won't sound the best, but hey, it's worked decently for every recording I've done so far. You can plug the mixer either into your audio interface, or you can just use the Rec Out red/white aux jacks and go direct into the computer input.

If you have extra time to mess around and learn some stuff, I'd mess around first with the Boss Recorder on drums. That could end up making it a lot better.

Miking the 4x12, I simply go with the top left speaker, just because it's what I've always done. Feel free to try out different speakers and microphones and see what you like. You can also set up multiple mics with the mixer to get different sounds. Rule of thumb for mic placement however: The closer the mic is to the center of the cone, the more trebly it will sound, and you will get more bass and mid response as you gradually move the mic towards the edge of the speaker.

As for studio monitors: They are not a necessity, as you can simply use headphones and get a pretty decent mix. If you have them at your disposal, use them in addition to the headphones, as you can get a feel for how your mix will sound in a more acoustically active environment. Mix with both nice and cheap headphones. Why cheap ones? Because 90% of the people listening to your mix will be listening to it on crappy iPod buds or computer speakers.

Let me know if I left anything out/didn't make sense somewhere.

EDIT: My bad, forgot about order. Don't do the whole band at one time unless you need the recording done that day, as it will be quite rough. I start with drums move to the rhythm guitar, which I usually end up double-tracking and panning left and right. Then comes bass and I wrap up with keys if they have them. Now that the rhythm section is done, I usually do the vocals or guitar solos next, depending on who is free that day. After that, any extra instruments that simply fill out any empty parts.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Last edited by swordsofplague at Aug 30, 2010,
thanks for the advice.

It seems like a USB mixer is in order as that would cover both the mixer and interface bases would it not?

any suggestions?
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Quote by NobleT
thanks for the advice.

It seems like a USB mixer is in order as that would cover both the mixer and interface bases would it not?

any suggestions?

Yes, that should cover it, although those usually are a bit pricey. But make sure that it will be compatible with your software as well.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project