Hello Guys,

I recently got a job working grave yard security dispatch at a local university, so that gives me 8 hours, twice a week, stuck in a 12' x 12' room with very little to do from 11 P.M. to 7 A.M. except play guitar, so I need a small amp to help keep me sane.

I've been looking around the internet and here on UG and have almost decided on either...

1.Fender '57 Mini-Twin

2.Danelectro DH-1 Hodad

3.Smokey Mini Amp

I would like it to sound decent. Running on AC power is a plus, but not essential. I play mostly Classic Rock and Blues lately. I just got back to the work force so I would like to not spend too much more that 50-60 USD. Also, I need to be able to hear the security guard radio in his calls, so headphones are rather impractical.

I like the idea of being able to hook the Lil' Smokey up in line with my Blackheart Little Giant for a different character distortion, but that's not that really important.

I'm kind of leaning toward the other two. If I do get the Fender or Dano, I'll most likely mod it with a speaker out so I can play it with my cab when at home. My cab is 16 ohm and I'm not sure what the impedance on the amps are, but with less than 5 watts of pure solid state power, I don't think I'll ruin any thing.

Thanks in advance
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
have a look at the roland cube street

Looks nice, but that's like 5 times my budget. I just started working again and $250.00 is a little much for a knock around amp.

Thanks though.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by fly135
Hold out for a used MicroCube.

Really? It's not like it will be my only amp. I just need something so I'm not just banging on the strings unplugged, besides, I'm not sure where I would find one, as I live in nowhere Oklahoma now. I looked on craigslist, but I didn't see anything worth looking at, and I'm leery of buying used gear off E-bay.

Are there any other options that are decent? Am I just being paranoid about E-bay?

Any helpful responses are greatly appreciated.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
Looks nice, but that's like 5 times my budget. I just started working again and $250.00 is a little much for a knock around amp.

Thanks though.

sorry just checked the price, i thought thet were around the same price as a cube 15...my bad
Sorry to bump so fast, but I was wondering if any one could help me out?

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Ive heard really good things about the Smokey. I would check out some demos and such on Youtube for those amps.

Also when you buy with Ebay you wont have any issues if you are buying from a highly rated seller.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Discksox,

I hate you as a Ranger fan, but thanks for the reply. I have looked on youtube and the like, and it does sound surprisingly good in front of a cabinet, and thanks for the ebay support, but they still want a little much there. I won't be able to spend $50 for two weeks till I get paid.

Burst,

That looks like a cool little toy, but I don't really want to drag my 112 down there and 22 watts seems a little much for my application. It's also a little expensive, but I haven't really looked around for a lower price than your link.

Jato.

I was leaning toward the Fender the whole time, but would really like some people with real world experience with the amp to let me know a little more about it. Could you tell me a little more about it, or where the few reviews on here and Harmony Central about right, not great, but good for what it is?

Thank you all,

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Wait, Im not a Rangers fan, where did you get that from?

REDSOX ALL THE WAY!!!

That prob dosent help.

Good luck though
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Wait, Im not a Rangers fan, where did you get that from?

REDSOX ALL THE WAY!!!

That prob dosent help.

Good luck though

No, I'm the Rangers fan, hence the hate. Dicek is a Ranger killer.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Oh makes sense

Too bad we will have 90+ wins and not make the playoffs...what bs
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
The little Orange Crush amp is good enough that people record with it.
Quote by jpnyc
The little Orange Crush amp is good enough that people record with it.
Yeah the Orange Micro Crush definitely. I just got it and it's amazing. It's the best no-frills portable travel amp. Great cleans, amazing overdrive. 50 dollars. Check it out.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
I picked up a Marshall MS2 a couple of years ago. It works off a 9v adaptor (Boss-type) or battery, clips to your belt, has a clean and OD channel, headphones and does what you'd need it to. You're not going to get great tone, but it is quite handy... I use mine to practice through at our drummer's place so he can actually hear what I'm playing so it's reasonably loud.
I read somewhere that Grohl wrote Everlong on one...

Peh.. whatever.

I have a Danelectro Bacon & Eggs at home (somewhere....) too and that doubles as an overdrive pedal in a signal chain as well.
Quote by diceksox1809
Oh makes sense

Too bad we will have 90+ wins and not make the playoffs...what bs

GO RAYS!
Quote by Kcintlob
GO RAYS!

LOL Gotta love the AL east. Looks like the orange fits me pretty well. I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thank you all very much.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
I have one of these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MS-2-Micro-Stack-Mini-Amp-Practice-Amp-100037524-i1145911.gc and it works surprisingly well. Considering it's only $40, it's very much worth it imo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If the radio has an output socket for audio you could always run that into the mp3 input on an Amplug so you can hear it. Just another option. That way you could hear the radio and nobody could hear how often you are playing your guitar.
Just another possibility for you to consider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If the radio has an output socket for audio you could always run that into the mp3 input on an Amplug so you can hear it. Just another option. That way you could hear the radio and nobody could hear how often you are playing your guitar.
Just another possibility for you to consider.

It's a C.B. type radio, so I'm not sure about what type of outputs, but it's a pretty good idea. It doesn't really matter if any one knows if I'm playing though. As long as I write down all the radio calls, don't let any boys in the girls dorm, and am not being too loud, they could really care less what I do to fill my time while I'm there.

I guess that's a plus to working overnights. Most folks just leave you be.

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.