Before I start, let me say that I'm a guitar and bass player. My bass setup is decent, but my guitar setup is cheap (see sig for specifics). I play mainly metal, and right now I'm doing home recording and I hope to put a band together to play gigs in the not too distant future. I figured that information will be useful to anyone trying to help me.

Anyway, I have a cheap guitar. Since my current guitar amp is a cheap practice amp, I typically play it through my bass amp using bass effects. I noticed, though, that I can't really get the tone I'm looking for, which is nice and overdriven, but still with some clarity to it.

So, today I took my guitar to Sam Ash, tried out my guitar with the amp I was thinking of picking up, Line 6 Spider 75 (I know it's not a great amp, but it's cheap and it serves my purpose). I usually use this in store, but it was a lot muddier than I remember it being. I also tried a Peavey Vypyr 75, which was better but still not as clear I was hoping to achieve.

I got talking to a guy there about recording interfaces, and he was trying to sell me on the Line 6 Pod Studio GX, which interests me, but to buy that and a new amp is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment.

So, I find myself with a few options at this point.
1) Just buy the amp
2) Buy the Pod, and run my computer audio through my bass amp, and maybe use the money I saved to try to trade up to a better guitar.
3) Just trade up to a better guitar

Sorry if this post seems a bit scatterbrained, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the best results for the least amount of money.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Aug 30, 2010,