http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqnD_4Tjisw

I swear I have heard this before from somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it from. I wanna say Yngwie, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I'm mainly talking about what he is playing at the beginning.
Last edited by sXe170 at Aug 30, 2010,
A natural minor.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
How do you guys do that? Are you watching what is played, or listening, or both? Or are you just really familiar with the scales.
Quote by SK3TCHYY
How do you guys do that? Are you watching what is played, or listening, or both? Or are you just really familiar with the scales.

It's by having a knowledge of theory and listening, then combining the two.

If it's a song I first find the note it resolves to. After that I find what scale fits over it.

For something like this you can do that, look at what he's playing as well, then use the notes played and resolution to deduce what scale/key it is.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by FacetOfChaos
It's by having a knowledge of theory and listening, then combining the two.

If it's a song I first find the note it resolves to. After that I find what scale fits over it.

For something like this you can do that, look at what he's playing as well, then use the notes played and resolution to deduce what scale/key it is.

Thanks for the breakdown... something to work for
Quote by SK3TCHYY
Thanks for the breakdown... something to work for

If you're interested then this site is a good starting point:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Always start from the basics since theory builds on previous knowledge.

If you try to figure out the key of a song, don't forget about accidentals, substitute chords and modulation. Often a song doesn't stick to one key or there will be notes that aren't diatonic to the key and that can be confusing in the beginning when you're trying to apply your knowledge. Resolution is the key. and that was a double entendre
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Also you could use the reasoning that Yngwie = natural minor
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud