Hey UG,

I've got this old 25w amp laying around a Radiotechnika Y-101

http://rushifi.narod.ru/foto/RadiotechnikaY101.jpg

Its currently setup with my vinyl record player but one speaker channel on it's broken and it doesn't get THAT much use.

I was wondering if I could take it apart and salvage the components for pedal building ?

Is this viable or just a pipe dream ? I have very little electronics knowledge so I don't know if the amp and lets say a fuzz pedal share similar components.
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
You could definitely salvage some components, though you won't immediately have a use for all of them. You could open it up just for a look to see if there is many components.

Also, to salvage you would need a solder sucker and a soldering iron, as well as pliers and maybe cutters.

With the last point about the fuzz pedal, there's a good chance that there will be a few usable components for say, a standard fuzz face, but probably not the exact value for the whole thing. Still, it's definitely good to have a stockpile of components lying around as you're recycling them and saves you money and trips to the store!
you could at least save the pots, that'd be good, and maybe some components will still be good and usable inside, so why not.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Just a wick related question, would something like a car stereo that has a volume knob have a pot that would be usable in a guitar/amp?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Quote by Diminishedfaith
Just a wick related question, would something like a car stereo that has a volume knob have a pot that would be usable in a guitar/amp?

It depends, I think. Older stereos with the analogue volume adjust, then yes.

In modern stereos, the volume is adjusted digitally, and incremented by a knob which can be turned any amount of times either way - so that wouldn't be a pot I'd say. I don't actually know the trick behind it though.

You can find pots in most music equipment though, it seems.
Quote by Rokeman
It depends, I think. Older stereos with the analogue volume adjust, then yes.

In modern stereos, the volume is adjusted digitally, and incremented by a knob which can be turned any amount of times either way - so that wouldn't be a pot I'd say. I don't actually know the trick behind it though.

You can find pots in most music equipment though, it seems.

I never realized I could get useful stuff for guitars out of old stereo's and stuff. I have had a bunch of that kind of stuff just laying around that I threw away.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
goes to show how low tech most things we use for playing guitar really are
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
goes to show how low tech most things we use for playing guitar really are

Guitars are about as low tech as it gets. Things I'd salvage are those awesome knobs! And you could use the stainless as a pickgaurd or switchplate. And you can always salvage internal components. Hell I salvaged together a fuzz out of a telephone.
Haha maybe goodwill will become my electronics store then lmao

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Quote by Rokeman

The pot used in those radios is actually an encoder switch. there are special ICs produced that are stereo volume controls. it's all onbard an IC.

the tuner uses the same kind of "pot" but uses a component called a Varicap. it is a type of diode whose junction capacitance changes based on the voltage applied to it.

lol.
Well I may go salvage a jack input off an old floor model stereo I have cause my high input jack on my amp is busted due to someone ripping the cable out of my amp. May just be able to pull out the current one and see if I can just swap the low input jack into the high input jacks wiring if it comes down to it. Any real difference in jack inputs other than the obvious plug sizes?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

not really. all you need for a guitar amp is a mono jack. radios almost always have stereo jacks and usually they have jacks with internal switches. so you'll only be using half the jack, so to speak.
Quote by Invader Jim
The pot used in those radios is actually an encoder switch. there are special ICs produced that are stereo volume controls. it's all onbard an IC.

the tuner uses the same kind of "pot" but uses a component called a Varicap. it is a type of diode whose junction capacitance changes based on the voltage applied to it.

Ah cool, nice info as usual Jim

I found this link on it, which perfectly explains why if you turn the volume knob real fast, your volume hardly goes up, whereas if you turn it moderately you can raise the volume faster (due to the issue of debouncing).

Gone a bit off topic, but interesting nonetheless.

So in response to the question about car radios before, unless you were making something with lots of IC chip circuitry and wanted this sort of control, go with good old fashioned pots