Wasn't sure where to put this, was thinking GG&A but that seems to be more geared toward pedals and accessories directly related to guitar. Anyways, I play in a band and am very afraid of losing my hearing. I currently use some Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs which cut up to 12db of sound, but they hurt my ears after a while and I have enough money to buy some professional musician's ear plugs that are moulded for my ears. I started to research and noticed that most have the option of different levels of reduction, usually 9, 15, and 25. I was thinking of getting the 25 but am afraid the attenuation of frequencies and such may be greatly worse than the ones I have now. Basically the question I'm asking is when talking about moulded earplugs is there a large noticeable difference between attenuation of frequencies when comparing the 25 and 15?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
15 is more than enough. I use those Hearos ones you're talking about and they've never failed me, whether it's for band practice or going to see Slayer. I guess you have oddly shaped ears, or something like that.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 30, 2010,
no louder than other bands i've heard play live, playing with my 5150, post gain is on about 3 usually, maybe 3.5. Can still damage your hearing haha
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
If you use ear plugs? No.

You are putting them in your ears right?
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Aug 30, 2010,
your definetly thinking well, i wish i would have.. i got that crap going on now that whenever it gets quiet my ears are always ringing, it doesn't bother me now but for awhile i had a hard time sleeping and everything. i would go with the 15's probably
Quote by Våd Hamster
If you use hearing plugs? No.

You are putting them in your ears right?

of course with earplugs its not going to damage my hearing, the ones i have hurt my ears just because of the fit. I was just wondering if i should go for 15 or 25 db volume cut when i buy moulded ones, whether the extra 10 db is worth the frequency cut, etc
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by halfj06
your definetly thinking well, i wish i would have.. i got that crap going on now that whenever it gets quiet my ears are always ringing, it doesn't bother me now but for awhile i had a hard time sleeping and everything. i would go with the 15's probably

Tinnitus.

And 15's are normally fine, it's mainly the high end that screws with your ears so anything that dampens it is good.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by gucio93
of course with earplugs its not going to damage my hearing, the ones i have hurt my ears just because of the fit. I was just wondering if i should go for 15 or 25 db volume cut when i buy moulded ones, whether the extra 10 db is worth the frequency cut, etc

Most plugs do mold into fitting your ear though? You can get >1$ plugs that do that- just squeeze them, put em in your ear, and they shape perfectly after your ear when they expand

Disregarding that, why would you pay for extra 10db if you don't need it? You just agreed 15 would be enough.
Quote by Våd Hamster
You can get >1$ plugs that do that- just squeeze them, put em in your ear, and they shape perfectly after your ear when they expand

Those aren't ear plugs, those are pieces of foam that don't deserve to be called plugs. They sound horrendous, I can't hear anything through them except bass drums and the low toms.
Quote by Twist of fate
Bro like um if you have earplugs you can't hear like your drummer and bassist telling you to stop stealing their glory but it's alright because they're not the lead guitarist who has sex with many womens

... It's the lead vocalist that gets laid
Quote by pwrmax
... It's the lead vocalist that gets laid

If doesn't really matter what instrument you play in a band, as long as you're the cutest one in the band you get me on your jock all the ladies.
Now I'm
The only time I've had a problem with my Hearos HiFi's is at Iron Maiden when Bruce was hitting high notes...I ended up taking them out so I could hear lol.

Other than that they've been excellent.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.