Alright so basically I play clean 90% of the time and I drive my amp 10% of the time. Because of this, I'm trading my Windsor halfstack for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo. I know that the gain on the HRD is less than stellar so I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that can take it into a more suitable gain level. Not looking for a ton of gain. Something that can go from a nice bluesy drive to a more edgy rock/alt drive (think Classic Crime). Any suggestions?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Failing that a clone such as the gmd Luther drive is a good option.
mojostompboxes.com
There's an ocean of overdrives pedals out there. You need to be more specific: tell us what type of overdrive you're looking for; is it Marshall-y, Orange-y, Mesa-ish, Fender Blackface-ish, etc.
Budget would probably be 150 tops but I'd rather not spend that much. I'm willing to go used. As far as the voicing of the overdrive, something somewhat American voiced I suppose. Like I said, I want something fairly versatile. I'd like to be able to get into a nice alt/rock/hard rock tone but definitely won't be needing any high gain metal or anything like that.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by philipk
http://www.stepupguitars.com/greenhouse.html

either the roadkiller or the goldrive
edit- there are demos on youtube...atleast for the roadkiller

Thanks man, the roadkiller sounds pretty damn good! Might go for that
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Fulltone OCD, Digitech Hardwire CM-2/SC-2, Proco Rat, Catalinbread DSL, MI Audio Crunch Box, Zvex Distortion
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by soul_power
Budget would probably be 150 tops but I'd rather not spend that much. I'm willing to go used. As far as the voicing of the overdrive, something somewhat American voiced I suppose. Like I said, I want something fairly versatile. I'd like to be able to get into a nice alt/rock/hard rock tone but definitely won't be needing any high gain metal or anything like that.
Catalinbread make a number of awesome overdrive pedals. They are all within your budget, too, roughly.

The Dirty Little Secret is a nice combination between British and American voicing. It has quite a bit of gain and is an ideal choice for Neurosis-type tones since it has a slightly Marshall-y vibe to it.

The Formula No. 5 is certainly more American in character. It's based on a Tweed amp in high gain territory. Fantastic unit that doesn't receive as much praise as the others.

You also have Barber, who make a litter of cheap and very cheerful overdrive pedals. The LTD and Direct Drive are the ones I've tried, and they are great for the money. Not sure if they're what you want though.

The Fulltone OCD is a classic. It has loads of gain and loads of balls.

You might be able to find a Lovepedal Les Lius in stock or on the used market. Same goes for a Wample Ecstasy and Pinnacle 2.

The Blackout Effects Mantra overdrive is supposed to be super versatile, making it easy to switch between American AND British voicings very easily.
lovepedal eternity burst. my fenderish amp thing loves it... just another to try...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I recently played a Blackstar HT-Dual tube overdrive pedal through a Fender Hot Rod deluxe, if we're not talking metal/fuzz, then that was the best distortion that I have ever heard to come from a pedal, in person atleast.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.