Hello, I have 2 questions for you all:

1) As previously stated, I have a squire strat, which has a tremolo bar. Now, to my understanding(which isn't the greatest), I have a floating bridge because of this, which causes changing tuning difficult. Is there anything I can do about this so that I can change tuning easily?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, I cannot do this easily, would getting a guitar without a tremolo bar fix this? Would this enable me to be able change tuning easily?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
You might have a floating tremolo depending on how you have it set up. Can you pull up? If so, you've got a floater.

You're thinking of a locking tremolo, which you do not have unless it was installed, and that's something you would know.

And yes, stoptails/your tremolo style make tuning changes easier than a locking tremolo.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
You might have a floating tremolo depending on how you have it set up. Can you pull up? If so, you've got a floater.

You're thinking of a locking tremolo, which you do not have unless it was installed, and that's something you would know.

And yes, stoptails/your tremolo style make tuning changes easier than a locking tremolo.

Thanks for the response.

I cannot pull up on my tremolo bar. Don't know what that means exactly.

And are you saying that what I have at the minute should make tuning changes easy, because whenever I retune, my guitar just goes back to what it was in before :/
If you can't pull up it means your tremolo is not floating- not necessarily a bad thing. It's how they come standard, I believe.

This problem sounds weird- what are you tuning to, and from what? How fast does it return? How often and with how much force do you use the tremolo? Which series Strat is it?
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
If you can't pull up it means your tremolo is not floating- not necessarily a bad thing. It's how they come standard, I believe.

This problem sounds weird- what are you tuning to, and from what? How fast does it return? How often and with how much force do you use the tremolo? Which series Strat is it?

Well, I had the strings that were on my guitar, but I recently changed them because they were getting uncomfortable and I wanted to use a lower gauge. So I got some .11 to .54's and originally put them into Drop C. And now, whenever I try and tune to either standard or D standard, they return to Drop C, which I don't understand because with my old strings, I could tune to whatever I wanted and they wouldn't go back to standard.

And its just a cheap strat from a starter pack I got a year and a half ago.
My guess is it's just a bad bridge- the quality of the bridge/nut/tuners leaves a bit to be desired. Plus, I think those come with 9's stock, so you're putting more tension on the bridge side. If possible, add a spring in the back, then set it up again and hope for the best.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
My guess is it's just a bad bridge- the quality of the bridge/nut/tuners leaves a bit to be desired. Plus, I think those come with 9's stock, so you're putting more tension on the bridge side. If possible, add a spring in the back, then set it up again and hope for the best.

Yeah, the guitar isn't the best.

Thanks a lot for your help though man.
Yeah you should add another spring, then do the intonation, and see if the truss-rod needs adjusting. It shouldn't need adjusting since you're tuning lower than it's set up for.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
WYPIWYG : What You Pay Is What You Get
Crappy trem and tuning problems is what you get for a 100-150$ guitar. I have a Squier and I never touched the trem since the day I got it, it's in its standard position, no floating
Other than that, the tuners are doing a pretty good damn job, it doesn't go out of tune
Quote by bb155558
... file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rob/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Summer%2010/amp%20test%20001.mpg
here is the link
open like another tab or something and copy and paste this into url.