I'm looking for some nice humbuckers for a Left Handed Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I play rock, classic rock, alt rock, and heavy rock. The heaviest type of music I would like to play (nicely) would be material such as songs by Wolfmother and The Offspring. I would also like these pickups to pick up finger tapping. I own a VOX Valvetronix VT50. I know my amp can get into metal/heavy rock territory, and I'd like some humbuckers to help me achieve that. I have no budget as of now.

I've looked into some Seymour Duncan pickups, and they sound pretty good. I have heard that the combination the Pearly Gates (bridge) and Alnico II Pro (neck) are a great combination (I'm sure there are many others), but I'm not sure if they can carry me to my heavier level of rock.

I've discovered this pickup, the Alternative 8 SH-15 by Seymour Duncan while roaming around. According to their site, it has a high output and is great for "all types of rock". They also say a nice moderate output pickup in the neck position pairs nicely with the SH-15. Does anyone have any information on this pickup? Is it too much output? Is it right for me?

Please refer me to a cooperative pair of Seymour Duncan pickups that can suit my style of playing. Do NOT refer me to another pickup company. I've never upgraded my pickups, and I want to make a good decision through Seymour Duncan.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-Lefty FENDER Std. Stratocaster
-Lefty ROGUE Dreadnought Acoustic
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
-TC ELECTRONIC ND-1 Nova Delay
-VISUAL SOUND Jekyll&Hyde Overdrive/Distortion
-IBANEZ TS9 Tube Screamer
Please refer me to a cooperative pair of Seymour Duncan pickups that can suit my style of playing. Do NOT refer me to another pickup company.

Please, do NOT refer me to another pickup company.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
you make it sound as if all Seymour Duncans have some inherent Seymour Duncan sound.

I will bet you my les paul and plexi that there is a bigger difference between the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 and Alnico II pro than there is between a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF and Duncan Alnico II pro.

Not all Seymour Duncans sound good. I've never played the Alternative 8 but I've played the Pearly Gates and Alnico II Pro. I like them both, but they're for people who like to ease up on the front ends of their amps. Why don't you consider what you like or don't like about your sound first before you decide on a set of pickups.
Quote by al112987
you make it sound as if all Seymour Duncans have some inherent Seymour Duncan sound.

I will bet you my les paul and plexi that there is a bigger difference between the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 and Alnico II pro than there is between a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF and Duncan Alnico II pro.

Not all Seymour Duncans sound good. I've never played the Alternative 8 but I've played the Pearly Gates and Alnico II Pro. I like them both, but they're for people who like to ease up on the front ends of their amps. Why don't you consider what you like or don't like about your sound first before you decide on a set of pickups.

What I don't like about my sound is that it is too trebly and thin, and does not have enough thickness and drive. I want to play some more heavy stuff with good quality as compared to the stock Alnicos that the guitar comes with.
---CURRENT GEAR---
-VOX Valvetronix VT50
BareKnuckle pickups
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Honestly, skip SD's. There is better out there. The best cost a wad of cash (Rockmonkey, Motor City, Bareknuckle), but some are less (Irongear).
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
So anyways, on the note of SD pickups.......

I love a JB in the bridge, and I one might get the sound you're looking for. I feel like theres some neck humbucker that usually goes with a JB in the bridge, but I forget what. Unless my tone desires or the music I play drastically changes in the future, I'll always get a JB.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo