I'm not staying on this ship any longer than I have to.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
i dont believe in science

E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
What a stupid article..

Correlation does not equal causation, as usual when it comes to articles like this.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by ctb
Beer sucks

To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by :Vicious--
i dont believe in science

Troll? Joke? Please don't be serious.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras

Troll? Joke? Please don't be serious.

ok....
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by SlinkyBlue
What a stupid article..

Correlation does not equal causation, as usual when it comes to articles like this.

Alcohol can have calming and cathartic effects and stress is the biggest killer. This has seemed reasonable to me for years.
Quote by Craigo
Alcohol can have calming and cathartic effects and stress is the biggest killer. This has seemed reasonable to me for years.

Source that.

Anyway, it doesn't mean anything to me... sure, less stress in place of exponentially higher risk of liver failure, cirrhosis, and sometimes obesity in heavy beer drinkers.

An occasional glass of red wine is as far as health benefits go with alcohol.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Drunk driving accidents come to mind here...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
What a stupid article..

I think someone needs a beer...

here, you'll live longer

Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
of course its a correlation study. its very hard to determine cause. So yeah the study doesn't mean a TON, but I wouldn't write it off just because it's a correlation study, most studies are correlation studies.

Its not going to make me drink any more or less. I drink when I feel like it, not because it does/doesn't cause longer life.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
This binge is making me healthier! Bring on the beers!
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Yea, thats great...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1647475.ece

Alcohol dependence is seen as central to the country’s demographic crisis; the population is declining by 700,000 a year and male life expectancy has fallen to less than 59 years, compared with 72 for women. Russia also suffers significant economic damage because of alcohol abuse among workers.

My dad's 3 childhood friends (in Russia) who have died of alcoholism before they were 50 call BS on this study.

Course russia is an extreme case of how bad the problem can get.

I'd like to see how they picked the people who don't drink for this study. Everyone has a bit of alcohol once in a while. Those who never have any probably have persistent health issues as is. You don't go out boozing if you have type 2 diabetes, for example.

Oh and from the article,

mortality rates were highest for those who had never been drinkers, second-highest for heavy drinkers and lowest for moderate drinkers.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Source that.

Stress can break down your immune system, give you something in an array of heart problems, can get you cancer, make smokers smoker more and make smokers less likely to quit, make it more likely for you to become obese and more. It makes you more sustainable to serious medical problems across the board. Stress can make pretty much anything bad.
Quote by DZCunuck
Yea, thats great...

My dad's 3 childhood friends (in Russia) who have died of alcoholism before they were 50 call BS on this study.

I'd like to see how they picked the people who don't drink for this study. Everyone has a bit of alcohol once in a while. Those who never have any probably have persistent health issues as is. You don't go out boozing if you have type 2 diabetes, for example.

Oh and from the article,

Dude, you completely misunderstood. Read what you just quoted. You do realise that high mortality is a bad thing? Low mortality good? Yes? And why the deuce does 'not drinking' mean that they'll probably have high persistent health problems?
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 30, 2010,
I feel the headline should be

"Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers except when they do something really stupid while drunk"

I'm not saying I think beer is bad, but I think getting drunk is certainly a risk factor.
I am still gonna die by the amount of tequila I drink...I mean come on I drink so much my piss is lager...then tequila on the weekends.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by Craigo

Dude, you completely misunderstood. Read what you just quoted. You do realise that high mortality is a bad thing? Low mortality good? Yes? And why the deuce does 'not drinking' mean that they'll probably have high persistent health problems?

Yea? where did i say otherwise? I know what mortality means and where did i say that high mortality was good? The second quote was pointing out that heavy drinkers had the second highest mortality which means that, yes, they outlived those who don't drink but they still died before those who would drink in moderation. Therefore, getting wasted 24/7 is still not the key to good health. Just something i was trying to point out for all those who were about to run out and buy a keg of beer and start improving their health.

And the second part is just me questioning the study's sampling methods. So, ok, it's not "probably" and might just be "a few" but again i don't know how they selected those people.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Beer gets you durnk.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by DZCunuck
The second quote was pointing out that heavy drinkers had the second highest mortality which means that, yes, they outlived those who don't drink but they still died before those who would drink in moderation. Therefore, getting wasted 24/7 is still not the key to good health.

They pretty much said that in the article so I don't know what novel point you're trying to make.
Just something i was trying to point out for all those who were about to run out and buy a keg of beer and start improving their health.

This is about moderate drinkers. Moderate drinks will go out and drink moderately now with their friends. Where's the difference?
Quote by Nelsean
Beer gets you durnk.

I think we'll need to do some extensive testing before we can go making statements like that!

Correlation does not equal causation. It might be purely coincidental people become drunk after hammering down 6 beers.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by primusfan

+1

ctb needs to be kicked in the face.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by DZCunuck
Yea, thats great...

Oh and from the article,

Oh of course, 3 people you knew died from being alcoholics, that means that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic and that is unhealthy so the study is wrong. Really great ****ing logic there.
I am fucking immortal.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Drinking too much water can kill you, so I wouldn't sweat the loss of a few people who didn't know when and when not to drink, or couldn't tell when too much was too much.

Teetotalers can be a stuffy drag.

It's tough to be weighed down by bullshit when you can drink stuff like this:

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
I think we'll need to do some extensive testing before we can go making statements like that!

Correlation does not equal causation. It might be purely coincidental people become drunk after hammering down 6 beers.

Beer? I thought we were talking about pong.

Wait a minute...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
well I know what im doin tonight
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
It was always said that 1 glass of wine per day would make you live longer...

In my case, it's no drink in the week and 7 beers on a week-end night... or two because beer is tasty.
Quote by Jackal58
I am fucking immortal.

Lucky immortal.

Did I say that out loud?
*parp*