Hey guys,

I've just got a new job, and i have always wanted to try out a guitar kit, so i found this:

http://byoguitars.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit--PRS-Style-Hard-Tail__BYO-PRS-HT.aspx

And i was wondering if i will need to glue the neck to the body, it doesn't look like a traditional bolt-on at all to me. So if i do need to glue it on, will the glue be included?

Finally, I'm just curious if anyone has tried this guitar or a similar kit from this site, and if they are good quality.

Thanks
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
It is a set neck, just buy some wood glue at walmart, lowes, or home depot. Be sure to get some good clamps too.
That kit is an ok kit. The pots, wires, pickups, wires, and jack will all need replace in order to sound good but it's still a good price for a kit like that.

It does have a set neck.

My only real problem with specific kit is that it comes with the sanding sealer already on it which limits your finishing options.
Do you have any recommendations on a better kit?
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
looks pretty good to me, but like Corduroy said some of the stuff will have to be replaced to get it to sound better. But the body and neck are made out of good wood, so thats a good thing. You need to post us some pictures of it. I want to see how it turns out.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Just upgrade everything on the website there's a little option menu right of the picture.

All together with the highest upgrades its $489.00 which IMO isnt bad for grover tuners 57 gibson pups and and a graphtech nut just gotta replace the bridge then and you done you can even get locking tuners!
Last edited by BKMC at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Blakeu224
Do you have any recommendations on a better kit?

Carvin kits are better but they don't offer the body you are after and they are more than double the price. Kit guitars, in general, use cheap parts so when you approach a kit you need to assume that you are going to have to replace stuff. If you buy all the parts separately from a place like allparts then you are looking at $250 or more for the body, $175 or more for the neck and then you have to start buying hardware, electronics, and strings. So if you spend $200 on a kit and only the body and neck are usable you still come out better off then you are if you go to allparts and spend $425 for their cheapest neck and body. On top of that, the neck and body you are getting in the kit is just as nice as the allparts cheapest neck and body and you don't have to stick to fender designs.

People like to complain about the poor quality of kits and it's true that nearly all of them have a lot of poor components that have to be replaced, but it's still a good place to start and you can always upgrade them as you get more money.

The only place you are going to get top of the line body and neck that is comparable to a real PRS is from warmoth but thats even more expensive still and it's a bolt on neck.

So I don't think you are going to do a lot better. Just remember what you are paying for... a neck and a body and keep in mind that the hardware is more like the free gift that you may or may not want to use. I'd use the bridge, pickup rings, and cavity covers but I'd replace everything else.
I would try looking on ebay for most of the replacement parts. You can find great deals on certain things.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
My brother bought the explorer kit from byoguitars.com and had me assemble it for him.
there were a lot of problems with it.

the neck didnt fit into the pocket. i basically had to reshape the entire heel to make it fit and feel comfortable when playing.

the sides of the body was very bumby. both the neck and body had a few dents.

the fake pearl inlays werent glued in well.

the wiring diagram was wrong.

the wiring channel wasnt large enough to feed all the wires through.

when I strung it up I noticed a crack in the paint along the scarf joint.

dont even think of buying a set neck guitar kit from this website if you dont have a decent amount of knowledge in guitar building.
^ some neck shaping to make everything line up is almost always needed with kits. Even the carvin kits need some sanding to make it all fit.

The bodies are also in need of sanding most of the time. The kit I got from Byoguitars didn't need sanding but that was an exception. You should always expect to need to sand the guitar before you finish them. The other company that I get kits from orders them from the same supplier but with no epoxy grain filler and they need sanding about half the time. If there were dents in your guitar that is a rare circumstance and you probably could have sent it back as defective.

fake pearl inlays aren't glued in well, that is true. A touch of superglue (thats what the pros use) and then some sanding fixes that.

I've never looked at the instructions that come with the kit so I can't comment on that

I too have had trouble with the wiring channels not being large enough but that isn't hard to fix. The routing is also a bit sloppy and on many of them it looks like it's been done freehand. The mounting rings cover it up but it does bother some people.

The crack in the scarf joint is also uncommon. Probably happened the same time the guitar got all those dents in it. My guess is that your guitar had something dropped on it or was dropped, possibly in shipping, and it was beat up more than normal. I think you were just unlucky.

Ultimatly even kit guitars need some sanding and shaping to make it all fit. Thats part of building a kit guitar. If it were as simple as bolting parts together then they would call it assymbling a kit, not building a kit.
Thanks for all of the replys, Sadly, yesterday my phone fell into a bowl of soup and now that is top priority so i will have to put this on the backburner.

I fell confident when i do get this that i will be able to complete this with ease, because sanding and shaping is not a problem.

Eventually, i will revive this thread or make a new one and show the process or assembling the guitar, and post a quick review. Thank you for all of your time and words guys!
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt