Hey guys. I just got my first ever guitar 2 days ago which is a Dean MLX, and I also got a Line 6 Spider III with it. I am really loving playing the guitar, it is so much fun! It is really cutting down on how much I play Modern Warfare 2. Anyway, there is only 1 problem I am having: My pinky is really starting to burn. When I try and play Enter Sandman, I have to slide from the 4th string 7th fret down, and my pinky is getting burns on it from playing too much. This hasn't happened to any of my other fingers.

Should I be concerned or does this happen when you play guitar? Will I ever get used to the burn? What can i do so it won't hurt so much? I kind of want to get back to playing!
It happens when you are starting, yeah. It'll go away eventually when you develop callouses- and proper technique.
Quote by Våd Hamster
It happens when you are starting, yeah. It'll go away eventually when you develop callouses- and proper technique.

Okay, great to hear, thanks for the help

Ar du svensk? o_o
Perfectly normal, we all go through that early on. The more you play, the sooner the fingertips will harden and the sooner you can start tearing up the neck! Have fun
that shit hurts. it seemed like it was gonna start bleeding once.

PSN: reldask
Your enthusiasm inspires me, congrats. Hmmm, I just played the riff to the song to see what you were talking about, my pinky doesn't touch the fretboard. So like Vad said, practice makes better playing and hands conditioned.
Quote by reldask
that shit hurts. it seemed like it was gonna start bleeding once.

My pinky did bleed when I first started playing. The string sliced it.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
First off, congrats on your first guitar! And ya, that is always there when you first start. String bending was probably one of the worst things for me. But now, I can bend all the time and never hurts. Just takes time and lots of playing.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
First off, congrats on your first guitar! And ya, that is always there when you first start. String bending was probably one of the worst things for me. But now, I can bend all the time and never hurts. Just takes time and lots of playing.

This. I find that playing with heavier strings really helps finger strength. DO NOT DO THIS STARTING OUT. YOU WILL BE IN LARGE AMOUNTS OF PAIN.

Glad to see another person pick up the guitar! That pain will go away within about 3 months once your fingertips toughen. I've been playing for four years and the skin on my left fingers is so thick they don't go wrinkly in the shower.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That went away in about a week when I started out. My pinky is still soft, but I only use it once in a while. Just keep pushing through, and you'll be good in no time.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
It goes away. It get's to point where, I lost feeling in the tips of my fingers. Not like all together but like if i rub the tips I can't feel it but if I poke it I feel it. You'll be fine. Have fun dude
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
yeah.. the pinky is the softest fingertip to begin with, it just needs to toughen up..

I was in the same boat as you maybe 4 months ago, Couldnt believe how often i was picking it up... Its all i really do when i get home now..

But after 3-4 weeks, i found i could play for hours with no pain at all.. Could always try tuning to Eb, it loosens up the strings just a bit.. i found it allowed me to play longer in the beginning.. Then i just came to like it and kept it there..