I'm saving up to buy a new bass at the moment and am getting close to my goal. I am torn between these two at the moment. I have been eyeing the Ibanez for several months now partly because i'm an Ibanez guy and because I played it a t a music store and loved it. It was very lightweight and the neck was so perfect in my hands. Long story short it was good looking, well-balanced, good sounding and affordable. I'm a pretty big fan of motley crue and nikki sixx and i'm wondering of the thunderbird looks cooler. I certainly thiunk it looks cool. I found the Epiphone T-bird pro was close to the same price as the Ibanez and has active electronics aswell. the only problem with this however is that I played the nikki sixx blackbird and it was so top heavy i couldnt believe it. also numerous other t-birds ive played were also quite heavy in general(not that it bothers me too much) and I also have quite a hatred for Epiphone. I havent played many of their basses tho so i dunno what to expect. The music store i played the Ibanez at also had the thunderbird but it is out of town so i cant really go back any time soon. anybody wanna give me some advice on the two? To be honest tho. the only reason why i'm looking at the thunderbird over the soundgear is because of the looks and how everyone else will think it looks. Like i said tho, I am an Ibanez guy. Their my favourite guitars and basses
Ibanez.

Also, try every bass you can try and get the one you like best. Everyone likes/looks for different things in a bass. You gotta find the one that feels right to you. A bass is like a woman. Gotta find one you like and go at it
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Last edited by Rancid Ivy at Aug 30, 2010,
without even reading your thread...

everyone here is going to say ibanez. read into that what you will, but as usual, play them both and see what is best for you.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
If you really liked the Ibanez, I have doubts as to how much you'll like the Epi.

Try them both out, they're very different basses.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by shinhoman
without even reading your thread...

everyone here is going to say ibanez. read into that what you will, but as usual, play them both and see what is best for you.

x

Why not read the thread and find out that he did that? I agree with your advice of trying it out anyways.

To the OP:

I think you've answered your own question with your opening post. I'll quote you lavalamp,

For SR500
"It was very lightweight and the neck was so perfect in my hands. Long story short it was good looking, well-balanced, good sounding and affordable."

For Thunderbird

"the only problem with this however is that I played the nikki sixx blackbird and it was so top heavy i couldnt believe it. also numerous other t-birds ive played were also quite heavy in general(not that it bothers me too much) and I also have quite a hatred for Epiphone."

"To be honest tho. the only reason why i'm looking at the thunderbird over the soundgear is because of the looks and how everyone else will think it looks."

If you read this in someone else's thread what would your own opinion be?

In my own personal opinion I think the thunderbird looks pretty badass but I would get the bass that I enjoy playing more because in the end my enjoyment of the music I play and create is more important to me than if someone thinks my bass looks cool.

But if the thunderbird will make you happier by all means go for it. Just shedding my own personal opinion on your question.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
It seems like a lot of newer players go for the Thunderbird because of the look. Tone and playability wise you'll be far better off with the Ibanez, but if you really want that look then go ahead with the Thunderbird. That's my opinion, but it's your choice.
Quote by Ledhead82048
It seems like a lot of newer players go for the Thunderbird because of the look. Tone and playability wise you'll be far better off with the Ibanez, but if you really want that look then go ahead with the Thunderbird. That's my opinion, but it's your choice.

if you play a lot of grunge like me they are fairly good bass's you get a nice Krist Novoselic(ish) tone out it with the right amp.

Its a good guitar for straight up rock nothing else at all thats all its good at its fairly good at playing ash/feeder late 90's british stuff aswell but not amazing but its a goddamn tank sometimes xD
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind really, if you take the Epi over the Ibanez purely for looks after everything you said about the SR then you're an idiot.
Personally I'd take the T-Bird Pro, I've wanted one for a while (if only they made them in Arctic White ). I loathe Ibanez SRs from the bottom of my soul.
Quote by consecutive e
Sounds like you've already made up your mind really, if you take the Epi over the Ibanez purely for looks after everything you said about the SR then you're an idiot.
Personally I'd take the T-Bird Pro, I've wanted one for a while (if only they made them in Arctic White ). I loathe Ibanez SRs from the bottom of my soul.

Ah what about the SR bothers you out of curiosity?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Ah what about the SR bothers you out of curiosity?

It's a personal thing, I can see why other people like them I guess. They're waaayyy too light, the string spacing is way too narrow, the "Bartolinis" they put in them sound thin as hell to my ears and I could never get a tone I was completely satified with. The 505 I used to play just felt like a toy to me . Definetly not a fan of the neck either. For me it was one of those basses that looked great on paper but just didn't do it for me in practice.
Before anyone starts I've played a fair few, not just the one.
Quote by consecutive e
It's a personal thing, I can see why other people like them I guess. They're waaayyy too light, the string spacing is way too narrow, the "Bartolinis" they put in them sound thin as hell to my ears and I could never get a tone I was completely satified with. The 505 I used to play just felt like a toy to me . Definetly not a fan of the neck either. For me it was one of those basses that looked great on paper but just didn't do it for me in practice.

I guess tastes vary alot but that why music is so cool
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I guess tastes vary alot but that why music is so cool

+784789467947847846784597
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by consecutive e

I agree with you on every aspect actually.

Some people can make em sound great, but its just not quite right for me.

I'd go the T-Bird Pro, you can move the strap button to cancel out the neck dive, and the few of them I've played sound quite versatile and definitely much better than the old T-birds, But the neck is fairly chunky in a gibson-esque style, so if your all for thinner necks the Ibanez seems to be your choice.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"